March 19 sees a flurry of genre twisting talent descend upon Rock City as Radio Soulwax hits Nottingham. Ever since the release of their stunning mix CD ‘As Heard on Radio Soulwax Vol.2’ 2Many DJs have earned themselves a reputation at the primo no.1 genre benders of the universe. Originally members of the band Soulwax, the Dewaele brothers started playing records at their own after parties where they soon realised their DJing potential. As sons to Belgium radio’s equivalent of Chris Tarrant their underground leanings were always tempered by an appreciation of a huge range of popular music and the result was a devastatingly infectious dancefloor orientated sound that farts squarely in the face of purists. Expect a mind bending mash up of classic rock and hiphop, electro house, pop and techno.

In between dazzling dancefloors around the world, the brothers have developed a live show from which they recently produced a ‘Nite Versions’ LP. This has proved to be an eminently danceable ensemble of their own electronic numbers, and by interspersing these with odd covers of recent dance anthems such as Thomas Andersson’s ‘Washing Up,’ it transmits perfectly to the live stage.

Also on the bill is Erol Alkan, whose rise as disc jockeying demagogue has been well documented of late. The middle-aged press might have labelled him as the next Fat Boy Slim but don’t let that put you off. His selection remains infinitely more relevant, remaining in touch with both electronic and indie scenes, while his club night ‘Trash’ has been the shining beacon of the London club scene for the past few years. His recent stunning Essential Mix for Radio One together with his irregular podcasts have secured him pride of place in the hearts of many a club goer with half an ounce of nous.

Quality support comes in the form of WhoMadeWho? and Riton. Miss this show at your peril!

Speedy Dater

Charity starts at Bar None