Nottingham students have triumphed in the final of the Students in Free Enterprise competition.

A Nottingham team won the business competition national finals in 2005, going on to reach the semi-finals of the international competition. This success makes Nottingham the first ever team to manage a double success.

The enterprise organisation enables students around the world to “create economic opportunity for others while discovering their own potential.” The award came after a day of competition in London, which included presentations to the judging panel on the package each team could offer to the worldwide community.

The nine-strong team’s entry included ideas for projects assisting “disaffected” youths in Nottingham itself to ideas with a global impact, such as helping East Midlands entrepeneurs to promote their business in European shops. This idea was fostered through a link with the SIFE Slovenia team and the GEA College of Entrepreneurship in Slovenia.

Nottingham team leader Steve Frost explained: “The whole day went extremely well — the more times we’ve done our project presentation the better it gets. But winning meant that all the hard work really paid off. All the team are very excited and we’re already preparing to raise the bar another notch so that we can get in shape for Paris in September and win the world title.”

The University of Nottingham Institute for Enterprise and Innovation (UNIEI) assisted this year’s team with their bid.

Director Professor Martin Binks added: “Their success is particularly significant because it comes at a time when the University is embarking on one of the most ambitious entrepreneurship education programmes in Europe. For me, the key strength of their presentation lay in the high and sustained levels of enthusiasm across such a wide range of activities. The results of their efforts are impressive and still growing in terms of impact. Through their contributions they are making a strong positive difference for many people. We all wish them all the very best in the finals in Paris.

Keith Gore, the Executive Director of SIFE UK, concluded: “It’s great to see the Nottingham team win for a second year running. The students have made a real difference to members of their community and we expect them to go far in the World Cup later this year, where they will be up against 46 other university teams from around the world.”

Nottingham hosts 'big hug' event

English department opens to the public