Cast: Anne Hathaway, Meryl Streep
Director: David Frankel
Running Time: 109 minutes

Based on the best selling novel, The Devil Wears Prada follows the story of Andrea (Anne Hathaway), a naïve and aspiring journalist who has just landed the job ‘a million girls would die for’ as personal assistant to Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep) – the world famous editor of high fashion magazine Runway.

The first thirty minutes of the film are witty and funny as the desperate Andrea attempts to get used to the highly demanding work schedule and an even more demanding boss, Miranda Priestly. Streep provides a typically excellent performance as Priestly as she easily convinces the audience of her incredibly high standards and ruthless determination to see her wishes implemented. This provides difficulty for Andrea, as she must learn quickly not to ‘bore’ Miranda with her questions and get to grips with the self-obsessed world of fashion in New York City.

New York provides an excellent setting for the film as regular shots of skyscrapers and commuter packed streets remind the audience of the fast moving pace of the city and provides an extra insight into the high pressure environment that Andrea finds herself in.

Although the film starts strongly it develops into a slightly predictable affair as the more successful Andrea becomes the greater the number of problems arise in her personal life thus providing the audience with a clichéd feel of it always being more important to be true to yourself than pretending to be something that you are not.

Warren Tarling

Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas

Soft Subjects