The first legal poker club in the UK is set to open its doors in Nottingham. Dusk Till Dawn will be opened to the public on Lenton Lane Industrial Estate on November 29.

Businessman Rob Yong was granted a casino license for the premises – the former Smilin’ Sams amusement arcade – by magistrates last week. It will be the first card-only club in the UK.

Mr Yong said: “We are now completely focused on recruiting and training good quality people to work at the club and will only open seven days a week once we have these people in place.”

There will be a £500 tournament to celebrate the opening of the club on December 1. The club will be capable of seating 405 players at any one time – this is almost four times larger then any other card room in the UK.

It will also create over one hundred new jobs and significant revenue for the city of Nottingham in the form of additional taxes and increased tourism, as the club will host major international poker tournaments.

Jenny Smith, Welfare Officer for the Student’s Union Exec said: “The Union has no policy on gambling, and therefore can neither condemn nor endorse it. However, students should be aware of the welfare implications such as financial debt and gambling associated health issues including stress and addictive behaviour. If students are having difficulty with any gambling related issues then they should contact the Student Advice and Representation Centre which can provide them with extensive support and advice about finance and personal welfare.”

The high number of students living Lenton begs the question about whether the opening of such a poker club will provoke and encourage gambling among students. The risk of gambling addiction could become very serious when one takes into account the very limited bank accounts (or overdrafts) of most students.

By Pippa Vaux

Victory for Library Card Fees Campaign

Nuts and bolts of Notts Uni life to be televised