Mixed Doubles’, this season’s New Theatre play designed to exclusively feature first year students, focuses on the routine and stresses of married life. It depicts the progression of marriage, beginning with newly weds on the way to their honeymoon and concluding with the reminiscences of an elderly couple. The play is a conglomerate of indvidual scenes; monologues or duologues originally written for separate plays by different playwrights, including Alan Ayckbourn, Alun Owen and Harold Pinter. Every scene teeters between the edge of hilarity and sombre despair. Seldom has the phrase ‘misery loves company’ been proved so pertinent…

This semester, New Theatre plans to increase its number of performances to twelve with the intention of, among other factors, involving as many newcomers to the theatre in plays as possible. Judging by the talent they demonstrated in ‘Mixed Doubles’, one can expect high calibre entertainment from such newcomers in the weeks to come. Of particular note were the performances of Stephen Jarr for his unique sense of comic timing and Mathilda Holland, whose naturalistic characterisation of the naïve adulteress Norma convinced on every level . Well done to all those who took part- a thoroughly enjoyable evening!

Philip McCormack and Katy Cory

‘Mixed Doubles’, this season’s New Theatre play designed to exclusively feature first year students, focuses on the routine and stresses of married life. It depicts the progression of marriage, beginning with newly weds on the way to their honeymoon and concluding with the reminiscences of an elderly couple. The play is a conglomerate of indvidual scenes; monologues or duologues originally written for separate plays by different playwrights, including Alan Ayckbourn, Alun Owen and Harold Pinter. Every scene teeters between the edge of hilarity and sombre despair. Seldom has the phrase ‘misery loves company’ been proved so pertinent…

Philip McCormack and Katy Cory

Hysteria at Lakeside

Mixed Doubles at New Theatre