The Search is on for a new Vice-Chancellor after Sir Colin Campbell announced his resignation earlier this year. Sir Colin will step down in September 2008, giving the University’s Joint Committee just under a year to find the best man, or woman, for the job.

Sir Colin has made quite an impact as Vice-Chancellor during his 20 year tenure. His many achievements include being instrumental in the establishment of the University campus in China, for which he was made an honorary citizen of Ningbo. Sir Colin begun his career as a Professor of Jurisprudence and has become a greatly respected figure serving on a number of influential Public Bodies, earning him a knighthood in 1994.

Sir Colin’s replacement will effectively be the CEO of the University. The University’s Joint Committee is advertising for a Vice-Chancellor who will have two crucial roles. Firstly to “exercise, promote and facilitate the very highest standards of academic, organisational and financial performance”. This means being involved in the day-to-day organisation and management of the institution. Secondly to act as an “ambassador for the University” throughout the world. It is clear that the new Vice-Chancellor will have incredible influence over the University’s future.

In November the University’s Joint Committee will produce a short-list of candidates who will be invited to visit the University. By 2008 the new Vice-Chancellor will be appointed with the hope of continuing Sir Colin Campbell’s success.
By Frederick Thorling

Nuts and bolts of Notts Uni life to be televised

Optical Identity @ Djanogoly Theatre