Jorge Pedro Galo Petiz appears to be like any other Nottingham University student. He enjoys going to the Cornerhouse, is a pretty useful Powerleague player, and has a perfectly healthy obsession with playing Final Fantasy. He takes trips to visit his girlfriend at university in Leeds, and to watch his fellow Portuguese countrymen play at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge.
Sitting in his final year Industrial Economics lecture, most of his classmates are oblivious to the fact that, while they were tasting that 5th shot of Tequila a few weekends ago; Pedro was savouring the sweet taste of victory in Barcelona, becoming Champion of the Renault Motorsport ‘Eurocup Mégane Trophy’. Winning the championship, two days before his 21st birthday, was the culmination of many years of hard work, dedication and an insatiable passion for racing.
A determined individual, Pedro has always strived to balance his racing ambition with his academic studies. He has often faced the dual pressure of impending coursework deadlines and crucial championship races, with thousands of air miles being clocked up as he flies around Europe to each event.
Pedro’s career, like all the top racing drivers, has it’s roots in Karting. He quickly rose through the ranks in his native Portugal, building a reputation for his aggressive, confident style. In 2003, aged 17, he participated in Karting’s top tier ‘Formula A’, won in 2000 by Lewis Hamilton! Pedro tested an F1 car for the first time in 2004, having driven in Formula BMW and secured victory in the Vodafone Cup by SEAT. He was fast becoming recognised as the driver who even if starting at the back of the grid, could still be pushing for victory come the chequered flag. A move to the ‘Eurocup Mégane Trophy’ junior class came in 2005 and he finished 3rd in the Championship. After being snapped up by both Nottingham University and the Iris Racing team senior class, Pedro pushed hard in 2006, finishing 90% of his races and laying the foundations for his incredible title triumph this year- with wins and podium places in every race he finished.
And now Pedro has the world at his feet. He has been signed up by renowned sports agent Jorge Mendes, the man who is responsible for Portuguese superstars Cristiano Ronaldo, Jose Mourinho and Deco, among other illustrious names. Teams from the World Touring Car Championship and the Le Mans series have been courting Pedro in preparation for next season, and he has already been awarded tests for the Renault World Series F3.5, a feeder to Formula 1.
Be aware that we have a potential superstar in our midst at Nottingham Uni, one who could join the aforementioned list of Portuguese sporting elite Remember the name, Pedro Petiz.

Special thanks to Pedro’s friend, Jose Fontes, who made this article possible.
For more information on the Renault ‘Eurocup MéganeTrophy’ and for Pedro’s career profile, visit the impact sports website: www.impactnottingham.com/sport

Impact History

Too Much Too Soon