Monday 25th February saw the 2008 Varsity Series get underway with the ice hockey taking place. The University of Nottingham and Nottingham Trent University squared off for the showpiece event at Nottingham Arena. Well over 5000 fans swarmed to the venue, guaranteeing the largest ice hockey varsity ever outside of North America.

What’s strange about this match-up is that normally, Uni and Trent play as a combined team, the Nottingham Mavericks. The Varsity occasion allows team-mates to go at it on the ice for one night only, with more than the fair share of big hits delivered over the course of the evening. A first for 2008 was URN covering the match with full live commentary from the city centre venue.

The match itself took a long time to get going, the first two periods ended goalless with only a string of saves at either end providing anything worthy of a highlight reel. Eventually in the third period some goals arrived, Trent opened the scoring with a speculative one time goal that caught players, fans and the Trent bench by surprise. With Uni pressing for an equaliser Trent doubled their lead near the end with a swift counter attack meaning the game was effectively over. Trent then closed it out to being this year’s series with a 2-0 victory.

Finally, spare a thought for the outgoing AU Officer, Phil Richards, he may have won the second period shoot the puck challenge, but he stacked it in the process, giving the Trent fans more cause for banter

Out of Order @ New Theatre

Half a Heartbeat & The Dragon Botherers @ New Theatre