Late of the Pierwww.myspace.com/lateofthepier

August saw the release of first album Fantasy Black Channel by Late of the Pier – a foursome of synth-fuelled nutters from just down the road in Castle Donington. Considering the hype you could be forgiven for thinking they had released a number of successful full length predecessors. Instead the excitement was the result of a number of breathtaking singles, all of which would have you jumping out of bed even with the dirtiest of hangovers. They do a manic live show to boot.

Clarky Catwww.myspace.com/clarkycat

Clarky Cat prescribe to a similar school of thought as Late of The Pier – one that fundamentally believes in quirky electronics, dirty baselines and live shows that leave those in the crowd feeling like they have ran a marathon. Look out for them DJing in Nottingham soon.

House of Brotherswww.myspace.com/houseofbrothers

House of Brothers sit somewhere between indie and folk, but fundamentally come dressed down, allowing the listener to hear the melodic harmonies, beautiful strings and powerful piano uninterrupted by gratuitous gloss. Lead singer Andrew Jackson is at times every bit as magical as Chris Martin or Elliot Smith. A particular favourite is demo track Twilight of the Idols, where the duet of voices are not too dissimilar to the frequent use of the technique by TV on the Radio.

Geiomwww.myspace.com/geiom

Kamal Joory’s alias Geiom has forged influences from all sorts of dark electronic sounds, as well as more conventional artists like Bjork, Joy Division and Kraftwerk. As such his style can only be described as some sort of electronica-grime-hip hop-dubstep fusion. His discography stretches all the way back to 2000, but arguably his most successful work has come more recently. Despite dubstep going global, it still has only a few artists who have had successful full length albums in a genre still dominated by the mixtape. Geiom’s latest release, Island Noise, does however manage this. Geiom can be heard on Wednesday nights between 12-2 am on www.kemetradio.com.

The Mourning After www.myspace.com/tmaband

Although not originally from Nottingham, the city has become the adopted home of Mark (guitar), Sam (bass) and Edan (drums) as they currently study here. What do they sound like? They seem to have taken great influence from post punk artists like Gang of Four; it’s distressed but unfussy. To make a modern comparison, they would probably fit somewhere in-between These New Puritans and Foals. It is undoubtedly accessible. We caught up with Edan recently over e-mail as he took time off from his travels around Central America.

He explained how they all met at school, and began gigging at sixteen. ‘We started in London and moved around the UK trying to chase the best club nights and support slots to play.’ They have since featured on the same bill as the Wombats, Calvin Harris, the Rumblestrips, the Macabbees and Alphabeat among others.

The band has already produced five EP’s, the last of which – Welcome to Co-Pilot – gained particular acclaim. TMA featured as unsigned band of the week on Steve Lamacq’s In New Music We Trust, as well as on Zane Lowe’s Fresh Meat.

The journey thus far takes them back to the studio, where a ‘whole new batch of material’ is in the pipeline. They remain unsigned for the time being, as they are currently ‘focusing on writing rather than frolicking with industry c***s.’ Make sure you catch them live in Nottingham soon.

James Ballard

DHP Group – Leading Nottingham’s music scene

The Bug @ Xlagoom, Belgrade