On 20th October 2008, Karnival’s increasingly popular Seven Legged Bar Crawl had its most successful night ever. The annual event involves teams of students tying their legs together in fancy dress to descend upon the streets of Nottingham. This year it featured 21 bars and attracted over 5800 participants, unofficially smashing the World Record for the Largest Bar Crawl, which currently stands at 3286.

Event organisers Ross Hunter-Duffy, Kate Meredith, Danielle Wilson and Chris Jeffreys were understandably delighted with their work, as Chris told Impact:

“We’re really pleased with the way the night went. When three clubs weren’t enough to hold everyone and we had to open Rescue Rooms, we knew we were doing well”.

Aside from the impressive size of Seven Legged 2008, its real triumph was the £38,500 it raised for charity. Some of this money will go to local causes such as the not-for-profit Crocus Cafe in Lenton and community groups in Beeston. It will also reach larger charities such as the READ International Book Project. Henry Blanchard, Director of Karnival, has praised Seven Legged as “the biggest event of its type run by students anywhere in the world”, and is proud that “75% of money that goes into it is channelled straight back to charity”.
Guinness World Records is yet to confirm whether or not this year’s event has been officially recognised as the largest of its kind.

Dan Grimwood

Airbourne "Runnin' Wild"

JCR Shake-Up Set To Benefit Students