In these trying times, in a world filled with peril and a nation divided against itself, the election of a new leader to the executive is of utmost importance, and arguably the 44th President of the United States of America will have the potential to define the national narrative well into the next few decades in a way few others have. He may be remembered in the company of the illustrious – John Adams, Martin van Buren, Calvin Coolidge, Ronald Reagan – if he delivers on his promises. Yet he must also pray he will not make the mistakes of those who arrived with such promise – Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Jimmy Carter – and squander his mandate on sexual deviancy and socialism.

For these reasons, Impact Magazine has decided to endorse the candidacy of John McCain. Whilst Barack “Hussein” Obama’s candidacy promises to erase the divisions of eras past, his policies are ill thought-out and veer dangerously close to the pink. We do not need a return to the wilderness years of the Clinton presidency, where wealth redistribution and a series of labour reforms led to a violent spectacle in the Balkans, and his mindless foreign policy gave the United States its first budget surplus in years. No – the fundamentals of our economy are strong. The baby must not be thrown out with the unfashionable bathwater, and we must not discard the free-market economic policies which gave us the ability to rise to the top through our own merits, to legitimately use our wealth as we saw fit, and gave us the strength to bankrupt the rival nation of Iceland. Our money is our right, our nation is founded upon the reality of private property, and ideas which threaten this – minimum wages, labour unions, a narrowing of the income gap – could destroy our ability to compete on an equal level with the Chinese. Lest we forget, they do not let ‘rights’ interfere upon their economic progression, and to forget this would be to surrender the next century.

We are a strong nation, we are a proud nation, and we are a nation that relies upon our continued strength and popularity in the world. Mr McCain fought for freedom in Vietnam. He knows how to win a war. His presidential air belies a man of the people, a man who knows the pain and suffering of the average man on the street. Whichever of his seven houses he may be in, whenever flying over the rows of repossessed homes in his wife’s business jet, wherever the boutique his running mate purchases clothing from – these perspectives are far more diverse and objective than the more trivial, subjective experiences of Mr Obama and Mr Biden. Mr Obama has only experience in poor neighbourhoods, and amongst the liberal intelligentsia. This is an election that cannot be left to the candidate with the better grasp of theory, and the more venerable education – this must be chosen on character and experience. Mr McCain’s empathy is more rounded than Mr Obama’s; Mr McCain’s friendship with Joe the Plumber is more trustworthy than Mr Obama’s being in the same room as William Ayers.

The fate of the nation – nay, the world – is in the balance. Our choice reflects our character. Our choice reflects our intelligence. Our choice reflects the way in which we wish to interact with the rest of humanity, economically, culturally, and diplomatically. The candidate who would deliver the domestic and international results we desperately need is clearly determined by these criteria, and a McCain presidency is the only sensible option for the true pro-American.

Austin Tasseltine

BassLaced @ The Bodega Social Club: First Saturday of the month

The Importance of Being Cool

1. Vanessa Anne Esi Brown

“Mr Obama has only experience in
    poor neighbourhoods, and amongst the liberal intelligentsia.”

A very interesting point considering it is the poor that suffer the most when a country enters economic recession. It seems that Impact’s backing of Mr. McCain is synonymous with Impact’s backing of The Rich.

Yes, ‘your’ money is your right, but that only applies to those that are born with, given or can afford to go the University and earn the luxury of money. (Considering the fact that in America there is no Student Loans Company!!)Many people have no money, let alone the affluence you yourself describe John McCain as having.

“a man who knows the pain and suffering of the average man on the street. Whichever of his
    seven houses he may be in, whenever flying over the rows of repossessed homes in his wife’s business jet, wherever the boutique
    his running mate purchases clothing from – these perspectives are far more diverse and objective than the more trivial, subjective
    experiences of Mr Obama and Mr Biden. Mr Obama has only experience in poor neighbourhoods, and amongst the liberal intelligentsia. ”

I’m sorry but these sentences are far from cohesive. I would actually say that they are quite contradictory. He knows the ‘pain and suffering of the average man on the street’? How did he learn this? Whilst observing from a distance and using his ‘objective perspectives’. I don’t think so! Meanwhile Obama has only ‘trivial, subjective’ experiences of ‘poor neighbourhoods’. Very interesting.

I supposed the bourgeois will always supports the bourgeois. Can we ever hope for some compassion for those who are genuinely needy and suffer without help? The ‘true pro-American’ supports John McCain who has SEVEN houses whilst they themselves may be about the lose their ONE and only home…

Vanessa.

2. November 4, 2008 at 23:45 — Reply

Ha ha, “gave us the strength to bankrupt the rival nation of Iceland”. Nice.

3. Liz

“Mr McCain fought for freedom in Vietnam. He knows how to win a war.” – are you serious?

4. Vanessa Anne Esi Brown

Well its seems the American Nation disagrees with you!

**************************************************Barack Obama; the 44th President of the United States************************************

Vanessa

5. Jenny

Surely this article is just a very poorly written piss-take?

6. Tolkien

This is amazing. For a second it did take me in – very clever : )

7. Neil Buchanan

Vanessa, I guess I should say to you what everyone else managed to see….the article was written in irony.

Much acrylic-based love,
    Neil Buchanan
    [Attack with art, not arms]

8. Lucy Hayes

This is genius, Austin Tasseltine. Why don’t you write for us more often?

9. Jessica

“It seems that Impact’s backing of Mr. McCain is synonymous with Impact’s backing of The Rich. ”

….oh dear, how unfortunate.

10. Macdonald Daly

Yes, Austin Tasseltine was one of Christopher Morris’s many noms-de-plume on the satirical 1990s series Brass Eye. From a veteran hoax lover and leg-pull-watcher,

Mac Daly
    Department of Cultural Studies

11. Vanessa Anne Esi Brown

Erm…….No I really didn’t see the irony! But I do NOW! *blushes*

Sorry. I’m really passionate about certain things!

But JESSICA your comment DID make me laugh! (I don’t know whether you intended for it to or not!!)

Vanessa.

12. Florence

Haha love it. Have to admit my blood was starting to blood for a good couple of lines. Evidently you managed to provoke a reaction, nice work xx

13. Vanessa Anne Esi Brown
    December 2, 2008 at 07:37 — Reply

To the Impact Team,

Thanks for the AMAZING quote of me that’s on page 4 of the latest issue…Much appreciated especially as it presents me as being a highly intelligent individual… (lol)

I’ll have to get used to be called a ‘left-wing dissident’, I quite like it.

Vanessa

ps- It also amuses me that about a month ago I was waiting outside the Impact office to speak to one of you about writing a Features article and a group of you were actually discussing me and something I’d written -absolutely hilarious considering you didn’t know I was standing right there and you were saying what I had written (about one of the Craig Cox articles) was in summary, a load of rubbish…….