The University of Nottingham has been named the ‘Entrepreneurial University of the Year’ at the Times Higher Education Awards 2008. Nottingham was among 34 universities to be nominated for the award, but seized the title for its breadth and depth of entrepreneurial activity. Judges praised the University for its commitment to “nurturing the most enterprising and globally-minded graduates in British higher education”.

The hotly-contested award demonstrates growing levels of entrepreneurialism throughout the higher education sector and the increased significance that is being placed upon graduate enterprising. Professor Drake, Director of Nottingham University Business School, said: “Winning the accolade of ‘Entrepreneurial University of the Year’ is a tremendous achievement and reflects the entrepreneurial attitude which typifies the University of Nottingham”.

Emma Shipley

UK Universities Set To Benefit From Financial Crisis

Debate: How Important Is The Outcome Of The US Presidential Election?

1. December 17, 2008 at 14:03 — Reply

Congratulations to Nottingham University, SIFE Nottingham – (Charlotte & Reena in the photo) and of course to the Nottingham Business School & Staff.

We were very proud to consult SIFE Nottingham on their efforts post winning the National Championships. Our main responsibility was to design the Annual Report for the International Competition in Singapore. In brainstorming – the passion, coupled with creativity and clarity of focus in both their President (Charlotte Mathews) and Vice-President (Reena Chandar) were second to none. For those that don’t know their short story, here it is. Because they are too humble to boast…

SIFE Nottingham won the nationals after much hard work. Their projects ‘create economic opportunity for others’ (here locally, as well as in China & Ghana). It was kindly noted by The Times judge(s) that they were phenomenal presenters when representing their University to the Panel, quite rightly.
    Focus, balanced with professionalism, humility and maturity. I learned a lot consulting on that one project element alone.

They then went on the the International Championships, got through to the finals, and went up in two rounds against the winners, head to head. They beat Canada in round 1 of the final, but were pipped to the post in the second. This was against 1500 Universities (I think!). They did a great job, and the University VC very kindly invited them back to accept the award.

Good times for Nottingham University & Entrepreneurship. Much needed success when entering global recession. Good luck again with this year’s National…

http://communications.nottingham.ac.uk/News/Article/Nottingham-is-Entrepreneurial-University-of-the-Year.html