The problem with reviewing art is that it’s so subjective; I could tell you, for example, that the new exhibition at View from the Top is mostly made up of National Geographic-style close ups of birds and nature and the like. Then again, you might like that sort of thing. I don’t.

There are, however, some beautiful images in amongst the plethora of frogs and parrots; a ballerina collapsed on the floor of a dilapidated house, or an image of an old man struggling down steps towards his wife, who is waiting patiently in the middle distance. These are about more than being just technically good: they tell a story, they draw you in. Unfortunately, images like this are few and far between here.

This might have something to do with the nature of the exhibition; it’s a collaboration of over a hundred photographers worldwide, who all contributed photos to an online forum and were able to vote for their peers’ images.  In theory, this is pretty exciting – bringing artists from all different backgrounds and cultures together. In practice, you end up with images side by side that are radically different in subject matter and quality. Maybe that’s the point – there were five or six images that I loved; for someone else it will be a different five. Pick’n’Mix exhibition anyone?

http://www.ukphotosafari.org/

Esther Croom

Famous Last Words: An Eyre Of Controversy

Absurd Person Singular @ Theatre Royal