Judging from the cooking habits of some of those I know at university, I’m assuming many of you don’t cook fish on a regular basis. Let me convince you that not only is this recipe incredibly easy and tasty, but smoked mackerel is extremely cheap to purchase compared to other fish and it counts as your weekly portion of oily fish. You do not need to worry about bones if you buy boneless fillets. As one of the accompaniments, I’ve recommended mashed sweet potatoes as not only will this make your meal appear more classy and colourful, but they have also been scientifically proven to offer more nutrients than the regular potato. If fine green beans do not take your fancy, then you can obtain a 1kg bag of frozen ‘veg medley’ for 82p in Aldi.

Ingredients – serves 1

1 or 2 smoked mackerel boneless strips (£1.99 Tesco for a pack of 4)
Salt
Oil
2 sweet potatoes – 89p Aldi for 750g bag
Butter
Milk
A handful of fine green beans, ends snipped off – 79p Aldi for a pack
2 spoonfuls of yoghurt (optional) – 49p Aldi
A wedge of lemon (optional) – 30p Tesco per lemon

1. Boil the kettle first for speed purposes and whilst waiting chop the potatoes roughly into quarters. Once the kettle is done, place a pinch of salt and the potatoes in the saucepan. Then pour enough of the water into the saucepan to cover the potatoes. Turn the heat up to max or high enough to make the water boil.

2. About 10 minutes into cooking the potatoes, heat a frying pan on a medium heat with only a tiny amount of oil as the fish itself is oily. Once heated place the mackerel in the pan. After 2 minutes or before the fish starts to disintegrate, turn it over to cook on the other side. Place the beans in as well at this point; toss them around now and again.

3. After one minute, drain the potatoes. Mash them with some milk and a small bit of butter. Place this on a serving plate.

4. The fish and beans should be done by now, so place these on the plate with the mashed potato. Add the wedge of lemon and yoghurt alongside and voila, you have yourself a ‘posh’ and cheap meal.

Ben Griffin

A SAD, SAD, Situation

Leftism