The Islamic Society at the University of Nottingham is hosting its biggest annual event; Islam Awareness Week from 23rd – 27th February 2009. Each year, Islam Awareness Week brings together people from many diverse backgrounds encouraging and promoting dialogue based on mutual understandings.

The aim of this week is to raise awareness and remove misconceptions surrounding Britain’s second largest faith group. There is a desperate need for awareness and understanding of the true teachings of Islam as sadly, Islam and Muslims are often portrayed as unreasonable, fanatical, intolerant, violators of human rights and oppressors of women. These misunderstandings breed suspicion, discrimination, racism and even violence. We believe that through awareness and understanding we can create better relations, develop tolerance, respect and harmony both on campus and in wider society.

This year, the focus will be on ‘Islam in the Modern World’ with lectures on topics such as the current financial crisis, social problems, common misconceptions and women in Islam being addressed in the light of the 21st century. Islam Awareness Week provides a platform for finding out more about these issues and improving understanding.

The week will be packed with exhibitions, inspirational talks, stalls, food court and end of week concert. Look out for our posters and stalls all around campus.

An Interview with Femi Oyeniran

Notorious Competition!

1. Rob
    February 21, 2009 at 14:04 — Reply

Please stop lying to people, just read your history and your Qu’ran, Islam is “unreasonable, fanatical, intolerant, violators of human rights and oppressors of women.”
    There is no way of arguing otherwise, Muhammed had sex with his 9 year old wife, does that sound like a liberal and progressive religion, I think not.
    However a formindable majority of Muslims are NOT “unreasonable, fanatical, intolerant, violators of human rights and oppressors of women.”
    What needs to be distinquished is that Muslims do sometimes face violence and discrimination, which must be stopped, but Islam shouldnt be apologised for or defended, you can seperate the two.

2. Jamal
    February 24, 2009 at 14:21 — Reply

I thought comments here were moderated. Just imagine ‘Rob’ above had said:

“Please stop lying to people, just read your history and your Torah, Judaism is “unreasonable, fanatical, intolerant, violators of human rights and oppressors of women.”
    There is no way of arguing otherwise, Moses had sex with his 9 year old wife, does that sound like a liberal and progressive religion, I think not.
    However a formindable majority of Jews are NOT “unreasonable, fanatical, intolerant, violators of human rights and oppressors of women.”
    What needs to be distinquished is that Jews do sometimes face violence and discrimination, which must be stopped, but Judaism shouldnt be apologised for or defended, you can seperate the two.”

Would that comment have gotten through? Impact, fix up.

3. February 24, 2009 at 15:55 — Reply

Jamal – yes, that comment would have gone through. We have a policy of free speech on this website; we do not moderate or remove comments unless they are specifically spam (that is, advertising) or outrageously racist, homophobic, sexist, etc. (eg – “All n*****s are lazy and eat watermelon”).

A religion is not included in this list because a religion is, at the most basic level, a choice and opinion. Part of holding an opinion is to accept the criticism that others will level against it.

4. Vanessa Anne Esi Brown
    February 24, 2009 at 19:42 — Reply

lol @ Ian. I like your example it made me laught. (Don’t worry I am black…before the whole world accuses me of racism :-p )

5. Jamal
    February 25, 2009 at 09:15 — Reply

As long as the same policy is applied across the board, I don’t have a problem.

But you should be aware it’s not as simple as you make out. For example, saying ‘Islam is violent and evil’; ‘Judaism is theiving and corrupt’; or ‘Hinduism is primitive and beastly’ is essentially racism, because one is obviously making a comment about the followers of the religion and disguising it as a criticism of the religion itself; thus, one is supposed to read ‘Muslims are violent and evil’; ‘Jews are theiving and corrupt’, ‘Hindus are primitive beasts’, etc. I’m sure you’re aware that this is precisely how the far right in Britain today gets away with most of its racism – by framing it as an attack on belief, not on people.

I’m not advocating censorship, but just pointing out that racism can often be, and increasingly is, disguised as an attack on a particular religion.

6. Rob
    February 25, 2009 at 17:53 — Reply

Jamal,
    I do believe Judaism is backward too and Christianity aswell, in fact all religions you care to mention are pretty bad, and there is the difference Judasim is an ideology and is open to criticism but being Jewish is not, likewise with Islam and Muslims.

Furthermore “But you should be aware it’s not as simple as you make out. For example, saying ‘Islam is violent and evil’; ‘Judaism is theiving and corrupt’; or ‘Hinduism is primitive and beastly’ is essentially racism, because one is obviously making a comment about the followers of the religion and disguising it as a criticism of the religion itself; thus, one is supposed to read ‘Muslims are violent and evil’; ‘Jews are theiving and corrupt’, ‘Hindus are primitive beasts’, etc. I’m sure you’re aware that this is precisely how the far right in Britain today gets away with most of its racism – by framing it as an attack on belief, not on people.”

What a load of rubbish, I distinctly separated Islam and Muslims for that very reason, but you obviously cannot stomach genuine criticism of religion, because you just think everyone who doesnt like Islam is BNP. Also Islam and Muslims are not a ‘race’ so saying anything about Islam and Muslims however vulgar is not racism, altough people do use that as a proxy. Now please lose your obsession with ‘race’ and Islam, it is people like you who, in this case, try to present something like this as a case for victimhood.

7. Sean
    February 26, 2009 at 13:49 — Reply

Jamal, why do you play the race card whenever someone attacks Islam? That’s just fundamentally missing the point. Your assumption that Rob was racist, shows your lack of awareness about concept of race and also that your belief is so insecure you need to censor anyone who challenges it. Your race is something you are born into, religious ideology you choose to accept; religion is therefore fair game for criticism. If you can’t see that the Islamic ideology is backward then that’s your choice, but you can’t claim immunity from criticism. Grow up and accept that your religion will be criticised forever like any other idea.

8. Vanessa Anne Esi Brown
    February 27, 2009 at 08:15 — Reply

I agree with Rob and Sean. Racism only applies to races! Discrimination or prejudice would perhaps be a better lexical choice, Jamal. I am “religious” being a Christian but everyone knows that no other religious people except Jews constitute a race. (Its a historical fact.)

9. Geraint

You’d have thought that if Jamal had a valid point there’d be a ton of comments from Isoc to support it, rather than secsoc outnumbering everyone else put together.

10. Umair

Baseless comments shows the sheer ignorance of people about Islam. Rob, I sincerely suggest that you be honest with yourself and go find out what true Islam is about – if you are in university, go speak to someone from the Islamic Society. Making unfounded comments here and there won’t help.

11. Rob

Unfounded?
    The accusation at the theology of Islam may well be unfounded as the Koran has no real historical legitimacy but there is real oppression from Islam around the world. The fact remains, Islam like Christianity like Judaism like Hinduism like Sikhism in fact pretty much all religions bar Jainism have violent and reactionary doctrines at their core. Muhammed has sex with a 9 year old girl (defend that one!), Sharia law treats women’s testimony as half that of a man, apostacy is punished by death how about a quote from your holy book on the subject of punishment, would make good reading in liberal circles?

“As for the thief, both male and female, cut off their hands.”5:38

Just read the Koran and you will find that it demonises non-believers, it says that i deserve to burn in Hell, which is the most offensive thing to say to anyone. It goes on telling Muslims not to trust non-believers, it is really intolerant. Dont get me wrong just because Islam is intolerrant doesnt mean Muslims are, nor is Islam entirely or uniquely bad, but there is more than enough stuff for a strong disdain for the religion.