Carl Froch announced his arrival on the world stage by claiming the WBC super-middleweight title against Jean Pascal on December 6th. He has now set his sights on undefeated Welsh boxing champion Joe Calzaghe.

Fighting in front of his home crowd at the Trent FM Arena, the Nottingham local Froch put his attacking toe-to-toe fighting style to good use in claiming a 118-110, 117-111, 116-112 victory over his Canadian opponent.

Froch threw caution to the wind from the outset, scrapping at high tempo with Pascal as both fighters attempted to unload big punches. In a bout described by some as one of the great matches in 12-stone history, it was Froch who slowly took the edge in the opening half before he was made to pay for his continuous aggressive style with some hefty counter-punches thrown by his opponent.
Froch ‘The Cobra’ seized control as the fight drew to an end, dominating the closing stages against his previously unbeaten opponent.

“I didn’t box and move and jab very often like I should do,” admitted Froch. “But I’m a fighter first and foremost. I could make my career a lot easier but that’s not what I’m about. I like to get stuck in. He rocked me to my boots a couple of times but I stayed with it and that’s what you have to do to get this green belt around your waist.”

The new super-middleweight champion has been chasing a chance to take on Calzaghe for many years, and such a dominating entrance onto the world stage will have sown the seeds of interest in the Welshman’s camp.

A bout against mandatory challenger Jermain Taylor is in the pipeline and Froch’s promoter Mick Hennessy is convinced that the ‘big-time’ beckons for his fighter:

“Carl’s the most exciting fighter in world boxing. What he’s done tonight is going to make him a marquee star because not only did he beat a brilliant challenger, he beat him in style.”

The precise details of what the future holds are unknown, but one thing is certain: Froch’s name will surely become known further afield than Nottingham after this victory.

Ben Bloom

"Save Our Club!" Pleads Local Rugby Team

Nottingham Hockey Silence BUCS Rivals Birmingham