I nearly fell off my chair with excitement when I found out I was interning at Vogue India. After months of waiting and many early morning phone interviews I had finally secured a five week internship with one of the glossiest magazines in the world, in one of the most exotic countries imaginable. So off I went to Mumbai, home of Bollywood, gateway to India, and home to Vogue – a city so stylish even the terrorists wear Versace.

Stepping off the plane I got my welcome to the glamour of the city when I found myself rubbing shoulders with Shilpa Shetty at baggage reclaim – she to was standing, jet-lagged, waiting impatiently like us mere mortals. As I ventured further into the city I felt strangely excited to find out more about what the not-so-distant future held.

I’d obviously hoped that I’d be doing more than just fetching low fat caramel lattes from Café Coffee Day (the Indian answer to Starbucks) and I wasn’t disappointed. One of my most challenging yet amazing experiences was being asked to supervise on a cut out shoot. I was originally asked to assist, however the evening before was told that I would be supervising instead. Every Friday rails of designer pieces are sent to a studio where they are shot meticulously. This Friday was no different; as the day progressed we shot what seemed liked hundreds of gorgeous dresses, coats and saris. My eyes glazed over as I imagined how fabulous each would look on, the fabric twirling and twisting with each graceful movement. As we wrapped up the shoot at 10.30 pm I was buzzing with excitement and the insatiable desire to go out and blow my entire student loan on a Christian Dior dress – I did however refrain, much to my mother’s relief.

When it came to the staff, The Devil Wears Prada was truly fictitious. Priya Tanna, the editor-in-chief, was possibly one of the sweetest women I have ever encountered and couldn’t be further from the stereotypical ‘office bitch’. I remember on a certain occasion her coming round the office offering cake, as it was someone’s birthday, counteracting the myth that employees at Vogue don’t eat.
India’s fashion scene is growing hugely in popularity with designer stores such as Jimmy Choo and Gucci opening outlets within opulent hotels, and India’s first ever couture week having took place this year it was an incredible time to be there. With an array of spectacular Indian designers such as Satya Paul, Gauri & Nainika, and Manish Malhotra, Vogue India seems exceptionally well prepared to tackle competition from its Western counterparts.

Smriti Sharma

A Fashion Guide To Nottingham...

Road Test: Harem Pants and Swishing

1. Ellie
    December 7, 2009 at 21:57 — Reply

Dear Ms. Sharma,
    I was wondering if you were able to tell me what age you have to be to apply for this kind of work intern as I live in London and would love to apply for this kind of job. I have always loved fashion and have applied for jobs in the U.K and U.S.A however I believe working in India would be much more of an experience.Thank you for reading this letter.

Yours Sincerly

Eleanor Chapman

2. Gursheetal
    February 9, 2010 at 23:07 — Reply

Dear Smriti,
    I would love to be an editor in Vogue and I live in London, could you help and guide me on how to really secure a job in Vogue in India?
    Thankyou so much, I would appreicate if you could email me back as soon as possible.

3. Zahra
    April 19, 2010 at 13:25 — Reply

Dear Smriti,

I have been trying to arrange some work experience with magazines, and would love to know how you arranged the internship; who to contact etc. I would really appreciate your help with this. Look forward to hearing from you soon!
    Best,
    Zahra

4. Meena
    April 27, 2010 at 21:05 — Reply

Dear Smriti,
    I just finished my TYBMS a few days ago and my heart is just set on fashion! I’ve pretty much lived fashion my entire life and I really think I could do well in a job like this! Any of the fashion magazines in Mumbai, could you PLEASE tell me how to go about it. Im sure if you travel back in time to when you WANTED a job like this, you’d know how i feel right now! Please help!:-) Thanks!

5. Aditi Soni
    June 3, 2010 at 14:59 — Reply

Dear Smriti,
    Hope this finds you in the best of health and spirit. I am a Masters in Fashion communication and pr (IED, Milan , italy) also a Masters in Journalism (NYU, New York, USA) with an intern as a business developer with Valentino Italy, and Abercrombie and Fitch as a Manager in training, Milan, Italy.

I would love to work for a magazine such as vogue, as a communication and pr person in India, although I have made many attempts in applying for all available positions and have sent my CV for database too, but not received any responses. Can you be kind enough to guide me the route in to find the appropriate position, and set an appointment?

Thanks
    Awaiting your response
    Best Regards
    Aditi Soni

6. Sangeeta Sundaram
    June 8, 2010 at 10:53 — Reply

Dear Smriti,
    I have a degree in Arts. My work experience only counts as a Cabin Crew in Kingfisher Airlines, also worked as an editor for Business Transcription Firm. I have a fair knowledge about fashion.

I would love work as an editor in Vogue. Could you please help and guide me on how to secure a job in Vogue in India? It would be very kind of you to revert back.

Thank you and much appreciated.

Regards,
    Sangeeta Sundaram

7. Meera Sharma
    July 31, 2010 at 22:34 — Reply

Hi,

I would love to intern at Vogue India, but am not sure about accommodation? Did you have to arrange your own accommodation or did Vogue India assist you?

xx

8. Pallavi
    September 29, 2010 at 09:06 — Reply

Hi, Im studying Visual Communication in Chennai, which includes Graphic design and Photography. I finish my degree this april,2011. I’d love to intern at VOGUE. Please guide me through the process on who to contact and how to send in my portfolio in design and photography. Thank you

9. sneha
    January 9, 2011 at 17:49 — Reply

Hi,
    I have finished BMS and now doing a diploma in fashion designing. I would love to work in fashion magazine such as vogue. it would be great help if you could guide me through the process on who to contact.
    Thanks!
    Sneha

10. Tom Lovelace
    January 14, 2011 at 14:39 — Reply

Hi, I’m in my third year at notts and desperate to get job in one of the big magazines such as tenn vogue, mizz or cosmo girl. if you could give me any tips for getting in touch with the people it would be much appreciated
    xxxx

11. Prerna

Hey I would like to work for vogue. I love fashion, I love vogue. I just got done my Fyjc. I live in India. What do I do next?

12. Ruhi Meman
    June 9, 2014 at 03:49 — Reply

Hi, i’m currently studying fashion styling in singapore and i get a break for internship.
    i’m really keen on coming to india and applying for vogue.
    I really love the magazine. it would be great help if you could let me know how to apply and who to contact for this internship.
    thank you so much.

13. Halah Dawre

Hi, i’m currently studying fashion styling in Mumbai
    i’m really keen on applying for vogue.
    I really love the magazine. It would be great help if you could let me know how to apply and who to contact for this internship.
    Thank you so much
    Best Regards
    Halah Dawre.

14. Ayushi chouksey
    May 1, 2016 at 16:50 — Reply

Hi , this is ayushi chouksey . I would love to work for vogue as a fashion designer and a fashion illustrator

15. Anwesha
    May 3, 2016 at 09:43 — Reply

Dear Smriti,

Why don’t you reply?
    It’s rude my dear ‘Vogue Intern’, very rude!

Anwesha

16. alankrta venkatesh
    May 24, 2016 at 22:12 — Reply

Dear Smrithi,

17. Smriti Sharma
    October 3, 2016 at 23:00 — Reply

Hi everyone!

I didn’t even know this article was posted here until someone bought it to my attention. Sorry for the delayed reply! The contact who arranged my internship has since left. However if you call the Vogue India office directly and ask for the contact who manages the interns they will give you the correct address. The people are really friendly and they are always on the lookout for good interns.

Good luck!
    Smriti

18. May 14, 2017 at 11:47 — Reply

Hi

I have been trying to arrange some work experience with magazine and I really won’t to no how to I go internship . I would really appreciate your help with this .I am waiting for ur reply pleas as soon as possible.
    Thanking u