Following a recent conversation with a typically ignorant UON Rah (in male Ugg boots) I decided to delve into the depths of what it really is that makes fashion such an important influence on the world.

The pyjama-clad mummy’s boy claimed that the world of fashion was rife with bimbos and uneducated idiots. This simply couldn’t be further from the truth. Whereas an undoubtedly large proportion of Nottingham’s alumni are here out of duty rather than preference, the fashion elite have the balls to enter into the precarious world of the arts with no guarantee of a stable career. Infamous for its unforgiving and cut-throat attitude, the industry is not to be underestimated.

Fashion’s influence is present everywhere. If it wasn’t for such revolutionaries as Mary Quant and Vivienne Westwood, girls would still be dressing like their mothers. Clothes reflect the atmosphere of the world around us. From the power suits of the nineties to Eminem inspired peroxide, our bodies are a canvas for our thoughts.

The fashion industry is worth around £50 billion p.a. If you want to ridicule the likes of Donatella Versace or Karl Lagerfeld I’m sure they won’t mind, they’ll be too busy laughing all the way to the bank. They may not have a 2:1 in Economics but as with most industries, the innate prowess necessary to achieve such ‘top dog’ status cannot be taught. Education is a complex matter. Someone may be a mathematical genius yet incapable of holding a conversation. The utter idiocy required to suggest that matters lacking in academia are worthless is beyond comprehension.

Michelle Obama is quite the hot topic at the moment when it comes to style. She was recently pictured wearing a cardigan and glove set from relatively cheap high street store JCrew. Not only did JCrew’s revenue soar but the tasteful gesture indicated to a nation in turmoil that cut backs had to be made by even the most untouchable members of society.

In essence what my antagonist needs to remember is first of all that male Ugg boots (or Mugg boots as I prefer to call them) only turn your cognitive inadequacies into an all-too-honest material illustration of what a prick you actually are. Secondly that it is this kind of inexcusable naiveté that leads to a kind of faux-elitism in which the only ones who remain blind to their own sorry ignorance are the ones at the hypothetical top.

Grace Gordon

Have An Ice Day!

The UGG Boot: an assessment

1. Ayesha

Hear hear, well said Grace.