Recent research by members of staff at the University of Nottingham has produced groundbreaking results. An investigation lead by Dr. Polyxeni Dimitropoulou suggested that highly sexually active men in their 20s and 30s run the greatest risk of contracting prostate cancer later in life. This stands in opposition to the common belief that more sexually active men are less likely to acquire prostate cancer.

The answers to a survey regarding the sex lives of 400 men with prostate cancer were compared to those of 409 men free of the disease. 40% of sufferers were sexually active 20 times a month or more in their 20s, whereas in the non-cancer group 32% were.

Dr. Dimitropoulou said: “What makes our study stand out from previous research is that we focused on a younger age group than normal and included both intercourse and masturbation at various stages in the participants’ lives.” He also explained that higher levels of sex hormones were responsible for a higher sex drive in men aged between 20 and 30.

Also contrary to popular consensus, Simon Langley-Evans, a professor of human nutrition at the University, proposed that the doner kebab was essentially healthy. He said, “It brings together lean meat, wholemeal pitta bread, and it brings in vegetables in the form of salad. But doner kebabs tend to come smothered in dressings, which bring in a lot of fat and salt.” The large portion size and high fat levels associated with doner kebabs have given their inventor Mahmut Aygun a lot of bad press.

Scientists at the University of Nottingham are also leading a major €3 million, 3-year-long, European study in progress at the moment. The study will use genetic technology developed in Nottingham to fight the lethal hospital acquired infection, Clostridium Difficile (C. Difficile), which killed over seven times as many people in the UK as the MRSA ‘superbug’ last year.

Anisa Kadri

Overhaul of the Students’ Union

'Love your new stuff'