The UGG Boot is by far one of the most common items worn on campus, and one of the most distinctive. The Australian sheep-skin boot has come to the forefront of fashion with celebrities such as Kate Moss, Eva Longoria and recently Leonardo DiCaprio, being spotted in them.

Their ‘Marmite’ appeal leaves many in awe and others in despair. Should the UGG be regarded as a fashion necessity for both sexes? Or should sheepskin be left on the terraces?

Retailing at about £140 for the women’s ‘Classic Short’ and £170 for the taller version, the boots make a big dent in any student wallet. To add to this list are ‘Cardy’ and ‘Metallic’ versions which fly off shelves almost as quickly as England’s batting line-up collapses. Of course there are knock-off versions, available at market-stalls and on the internet – but to fit in with the inner crowd of fools, one must buy original.

Although most of the females on campus seem to think that an UGG boot is what sets them apart, I really cannot see what these monstrosities actually add to the attractiveness of a girl. I’m sure there are many who will disagree: but they manage to turn the most alluring, slender and elegant into the love-child of the Elephant Man and Paris Hilton on skis.

The characteristic of sheep following whichever of their mates are in front of them is an irony which seems to be captured in the essence of their skin. Like the farmyard animal, or a fly being drawn to light, once one celeb is snapped in Heat wearing a pair of UGGs, the rest of the female population follow.

Sheepskin has never really dictated fashion. For many the only time it is seen is on a sheep while holidaying in Wales; however some will recognise the ‘fabric’ on coats owned by football’s most recognisable voice – John Motson. I am not too proud to admit I have tried on a pair of male UGGs, and it cannot be denied they are outrageously comfortable. Therefore I could accept one wearing them around the house as a slipper alternative – at the end of the day they are just a glorified version of them anyway – but to see the clumpy, clomping, clumsy looking boots worn outside cannot be justified. They are ridiculous, especially given the price, and the argument that they are worn for comfort is dismissed when one takes into account how little consideration women generally give to comfort in regards to fashion – particularly with footwear!

***

The end of last year saw UGG open their European flagship store in Covent Garden, which as well as the trademark boot, also sees sales of hand-bags, ear-muffs and hats for extortionate prices. Sightings of idiots, people with more money than sense and Chelsea footballers with their WAGs have already been reported.

Will Gilgrass

Fashion Under Fire

The First lady of Fashion