For those students currently studying here on exchange from other countries, Impact takes a look at some travel destinations closer to home with a guide to some of England’s less-well-travelled cities.

Lincoln

Lincoln was especially famous for its cloth and wool; Robin Hood himself supposedly sported an outfit of Lincoln Green.

To see:
– The Castle: One of the finest remaining Norman Castles in the country, and the site of one of the four surviving originals of the Magna Carta.
– Lincoln Cathedral: At its completion this was believed to be the tallest man-made structure in the world.
– Shops: The old shops of Steep Hill and Bailgate.
– Market: The traditional German-style Christmas Market. Don’t go if you’re agoraphobic!

Enjoy:
A drink on the Brayford Waterfront with Lincoln’s newest bars and restaurants, where you can take in the views and have a relaxing evening.

Manchester

Manchester has a striking mix of old and new buildings, thanks to the Renaissance of the industrial cities of the north.

To see:
– The Museum of Science and Industry: See locomotives from the 19th century, and a vintage Spitfire aircraft.
– Manchester United Football Club: 2009 Premiership Champions
– The Printworks: An atypical entertainment complex with restaurants, bars, clubs, a cinema and a health club.
– Arndale Shopping Centre: Its toilets were awarded ‘Loo of the Year’ in 2007 and 2008!

Enjoy:
Eat at China Buffet in Chinatow, with as much as you want for only £5.50! Don’t worry, it’s not dodgy for the price – the food is fresh and tasty. Don’t stay more than an hour though, it gets busy at lunchtime. I managed six courses and all I have to say is: eat and be merry!

Leeds

Once a bustling merchant town founded on textiles, leather and pottery, today Leeds is a vibrant student city with a large cultural offering and numerous shops.

To see:
– The Victoria Quarter: It has a great commercial arcade.
– Leeds Art Gallery: With works by Rembrandt, Turner, Blake, and others.
– The ‘Otley Run’: The Leeds version of our ‘Campus 14’, this fancy-dress pub crawl consists of having a drink in all the pubs on Otley Road. And there’s quite a few!
– Kirkstall Abbey: The most complete early Cistercian (12th century) building in England.

Enjoy:
A lunch at Pickles and Potter deli with its amazing range of salads, cakes and sandwiches. Try the roast beef sandwich with lettuce, mustard, coco and pineapple.

Angelique Stastny

Those Summer Nights

Religious Tourism

1. February 19, 2011 at 17:13 — Reply

Thanks for this information.

Very well written.

2. February 19, 2011 at 17:15 — Reply

Et la culture serbe tu connais ?

Je suis sûr que c’est une tchèque qui a écrit !