CAST Bar and Restaurant cannot be faulted on its setting, located next to the Nottingham Playhouse with the Sky Mirror sculpture just outside. A new menu was introduced from June 8th, expanding on their aim of producing a large range of dishes from seasonal and locally sourced produce.

The bar menu is perfect for a light lunch, especially during summer when outdoor seating is available. The range of tastes is very wide, from thai curries to ‘posh fish and chips’, and also sharing platters for relaxed and informal meals, all at very reasonable prices. Although the ‘posh fish and chips’ is one of the pricier items on the menu I would highly recommend it as a refreshing twist on an old classic.

Their pre-theatre menu is similarly enjoyable if a little more limited, and nothing short of a bargain at £10 for two courses. The one disadvantage is that on a non-performance night the restaurant has a somewhat deserted feel. It is perhaps still awaiting a boost in popularity to establish it as a restaurant in its own right, not merely an addition to the theatre. Nonetheless the food was beautifully presented and the service excellent; definitely worth a visit whether you’re going to the theatre or not.

Lucy Hayes

From Nottingham with Love

Update: 13 Nottingham Students Diagnosed with Swine Flu