Sir John Borlase Warren

The Sir John Borlase is arguably one of the nicest pubs in Lenton. The staff are really welcoming, and the traditional pub atmosphere is a delight. The interior has wooden floors and high-chairs by the fire, which offers a much more cosy drinking experience compared to The Ropewalk across the road. However, Summer is definitely on its way – clearly shown by a change in Hallward dresscode – and for such a lovely season, the Sir John offers much more than The Ropewalk can. The beer garden is deceptively big, and the upstairs decking provides a perfect spot for an evening pint. Drinks aren’t overly cheap, but the drinking experience you’ll have is certain to beat the Happy or the Bag. Beer gardens are one of the highlights of the British Summer, and this pub offers one of Lenton’s best.

The Castle

Soon you’ll have finished your exams, the sun will be shining, and for the most part you won’t have much to do apart from making the most of the final two weeks of term. So why not spend your day in The Castle pub, sitting in the picturesque beer garden? It’s situated just outside the Nottingham Castle, so not only can you soak up a bit of the city’s history, but you also feel a million miles away from the grimy streets of Lenton. There’s plenty of seating outside so it’s perfect for a big gang of casual drinkers or, alternatively, it’s nice enough to have a more intimate drink. You can buy your typical pub beverage for a reasonable price and what’s more, if you get slightly peckish in the afternoon sun, the food is cheap and delicious too – we certainly recommend The Castle Sharing Platter. They also do a great Sunday lunch – so why not have a wonderful alfresco dining experience whilst reading The Sunday Times? There’s no doubt that lunch will turn into an all-day session, since you won’t want to leave this beautiful, chique spot. There’s a really relaxed, friendly atmosphere which is ideal for a chatty afternoon. We seriously suggest paying this unknown gem a visit for a perfect summer’s day – just don’t forget your sunglasses.

The Waltons

It is likely that you will get to know the Walton much more now that summer is approaching. An extended outside seating area that attracts sun right up to the early evening ensures that it’s popular with students, whilst providing something a little more sophisticated than the traditional Lenton pubs. The fact that the Walton becomes much busier during the summer reflects the rather stuffy interior that is usually filled with older, local customers. However, during exam time and for the brief period after when the sun is out, there is no better place to be. Situated towards the top of Derby Road, it is ideally located to spend the afternoon before heading into town for the evening, or even just for a relaxing couple of drinks after a long day’s revision. The food is of good quality and more importantly well priced – lunch will typically cost no more than £6 (just as well seeing as you will be paying towards £3 for a pint). The terraced area is also available to be hired out, offering an alternative venue for birthdays if the weather can be guaranteed.

Jack Cooper and Katie Webber

Transformers and Why We Will Hate It

Restaurant of the month: Las Iguanas “Eat Latino, Drink Latino!”