It’s that time again, folks: longer days, flip-flop weather, and a host of delectable partying treats for the hardcore among us.

A Nottingham staple, Firefly is back for its 9th birthday on 13th June. Sure to be its messiest yet, anyone that has never been is in for a treat. The old-school Marcus Garvey Ballroom, the location for this musical feast, is somewhat akin to the home of a Year 11 school disco. The large open room swathed in black material and UV lights gives this joint the essence of twisted school disco chic with underground vibes. The result is aurally orgasmic, unpretentious raving with past headliners including Booka Shade, Green Velvet, Erol Alkan and Hot Chip. You’d be mad to miss out.

And how could we possibly forget to mention the Summer Party on the downs? Dubiously dubbed the ‘student Glastonbury’, this event promises to bring the year to an end with a bang. An all-day/all-night party with Detonate, Firefly, MNSTR and the ubiquitous cheese tents in attendance, there is no doubt something for everyone.

Those with a lesser budget may simply look to our glorious campus for some summer fun. With acres and acres of grass to rest our hard-worked bodies and a multitude of prime tanning spots among the grass, this is the place to chill when the nights are drawing in.
So, here’s to a long, hot, messy summer. Pimms o’ clock anyone…?

Georgie Travis

Notts Boxer Knocks Out The Competition

An Alternative Guide To England