Whilst the gypsy-on-heroin look appeared to cut a dash at the goose-fair this month, back on campus, things aren’t looking so rock-n-roll. Since the 90’s, we’ve been hearing of the allure of ‘geek chic’ and, as always, done right, it’s a winner. For those of you who aren’t loving this season’s penchant for all things biker, then a pair of brogues and floral tea-dress might be the antidote you’re after. However, it’s come to our attention that for every student who gets it right, at least ten will get it wrong. Very wrong. The clue is in the ‘chic’ part of this trend, but apparently someone forgot to tell those people chillaxin’ with their equations at the George Green library. Not to be dramatic, but ten minutes in that place is essentially a lifetime in fashion purgatory – if the place between this life and the next was the sale rail at Millets.

Don’t. Wear. A. Fleece. Should come right after ‘Thou shalt not steal’ in the Ten Commandments. Never before has man seen a fuzzier form of contraception. I know they are practical, warm, safe and can come in almost any colour (probably to match your pencil case) but they are hideous. This should be a time to celebrate; cardigans and jumpers are more than just socially acceptable, they’re a wardrobe staple. If you’ve already spent your entire student loan on a fleece for every day of the week then don’t even worry: Mum’s sheep-emblazoned oversize jumper from the 80’s will do nicely, and you can get extra credit from your environmental engineering tutor for the impromptu recycling effort.

Fleece safely thrown in the River Trent and all photographic evidence destroyed, something may still be holding you back. I say this because I’m pretty sure Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle was never ‘in’ so the insistence on carrying your life around on your back like an amphibian is, frankly, odd. We all know the importance of accessorising an outfit, but the backpack is second only to the f-word (fanny-pack) in the list of heinous fashion crimes. Would it kill you to carry a handbag? Would the sky fall in if your Pukka Pad had to be hand-held? No. And don’t try the old ‘I cycle to Uni so I need a back-pack’ ruse: Get a basket. I appreciate this may seem harsh, but really, we’re just trying to help. Of course it’s only advice and if you choose to ignore it then that’s fine. But if you could stop wearing the fleece that would be great because it’s hurting my eyes.

Jasmin Watts

Student Loans Company: why are we (still) waiting?

Proposed Overhaul of Higher Education

1. Janneke
    November 7, 2009 at 20:06 — Reply

Firstly, I think you forget that most people go to Nottingham Uni to do a degree not a fashion show.

Secondly, some people aren’t on daddy’s payroll and can’t afford a new wardrobe every time fashion dictates we need one.

Thirdly, what actually gives you the right to judge people on what they wear? It is just this sort of snobbery from people like you that is so typical of this university and really lets it down.

Impact, this is sloppy, sloppy journalism. It isolates a wide percentage of your audience and frankly is just out of order in its approach.

• November 7, 2009 at 20:21 — Reply

Hi Janneke, Thanks for your comment

I agree that this article could be construed as judgemental and indeed isolate some of our readers. Impact however is completely unbiased to any viewpoint, especially when a piece is clearly ‘in jest’. I think you raise some interesting issues and I would really like for you to write a piece for us. Please drop me an email at [email protected].

2. A
    November 9, 2009 at 00:51 — Reply

Thank goodness articles like this do get published. How boring this magazine would be without them.

3. B
    November 9, 2009 at 02:31 — Reply

Wow, what an incredibly offensive article, completely one sided, biased, and downright shallow. Congratulations Miss. Watts on being one of the most plainly ignorant people I have ever had the misfortune to read an article by.

Just wow.

4. November 9, 2009 at 17:51 — Reply

I’m really concerned that some of Impact’s readership have had a complete sense of humour failure. If you can’t take what is very evidently a joke, I’d suggest you’re the ignorant one!

5. Jaan Argge-Fjortoft
    November 9, 2009 at 22:21 — Reply

Just to clarify, this article is in jest.
    If you fail to see this then stop taking yourself so seriously. Either that or stop wearing a bloody fleece. Please.

6. Ben Allen
    November 9, 2009 at 22:36 — Reply

erm… its really not a very funny joke. its a really pants article.

– Even if it is a joke, the fact remains that this stuff actually goes through this girls head. maybe she will look back at age 35 and think: sh*t i was a real dork.
    – impact can’t be blamed for putting the article in but jeeeeese impact, where’s the quality control? get some funnier writers! she reads like the stupid amerians on the ‘living’ tv channel.

7. Janneke
    November 10, 2009 at 12:51 — Reply

I expect I’m not allowed to wear a rain coat either? Instead while carrying my pukka pad (and the many other books I need for my degree…) while cycling my bike I also need to balance an umbrella on my handlebars?

8. Amelia
    November 10, 2009 at 18:33 — Reply

Wow, forget wardrobe malfunction, i fear the problem here is a sense of humour crisis .
    Janneke, a word of advice; when arguing someone is being “judgemental” do not then judge them as having traits of “snobbery”, or that they are on daddy’s pay roll, as any argument you had becomes arbitrary and you yourself appear the judgemental one.
    The writing style of Miss Watts is clearly humorous and not meant as a political commentary, so should not be regarded as such.
    I myself found the article amusing and harmless, even to any poor sheep caught in the cross fire…

9. James
    November 10, 2009 at 19:00 — Reply

This article is really very witty (I laughed out loud at the purgatory part) but it reeeally shows the writer up to be a shallow and ironically sad individual. Wicked way with words though! X.

10. Paul (Fashion Editor)
    November 10, 2009 at 19:02 — Reply

We are ALL here to study a degree, whilst broadening our CVs and indulging in an outside interest i.e. fashion and journalism.

I myself am a Mathematician and resident George Greener and did not find this article offensive. I think the article was clear in its tone and well written. If you didn’t get this I’m sorry.

Paul

PS. No one on the fashion team, including Jasmin, is on ‘daddy’s payroll’.

11. Nick Medhurst
    November 10, 2009 at 23:09 — Reply

Blah Blah Blah

12. Bb
    November 10, 2009 at 23:11 — Reply

There was nothing intentionally (or otherwise) funny about the article. But I’m glad the ‘contraceptive’ and ‘fashion purgatory’ humour produced a few cheap laughs. Nottingham lies somewhere on the cusp of an institute of somewhat intelligent students and a London-Met uni-style fashion show.
    Thanks for this article… at least we have a better understanding now of where we all stand.

13. Rob
    November 10, 2009 at 23:42 — Reply

All I can say is the article and the comments made me laugh, for a wide variety of reasons. HAHAHA

14. Chris Brown
    November 11, 2009 at 00:40 — Reply

Hi Guys,

I found this article really interesting and i think the real question is what is cool?? I mean i study economics but feel i like the auora of the george green library so go there. Sure i have a regatta fleece, straight leg lee cooper jeans, white patrick socks, hi-tech trainers, an umbro rucksack, a recycled tyre pencil case with pencils and pens monogramed with my name. Does this mean i’m not cool? Within my 10’s of friends we all have a similar fashion sense and we think we’re cool and that “fashionable people” are really sad. If anyone reads this comment i would love for you all to get back to me, also look out for me on facebook! I’m always looking out for new friends! hehe!!
    xxchrissyxx

15. Libby
    November 11, 2009 at 03:30 — Reply

I officially love Jasmin Watts. Hilarious article, and even more amusing response to the pathetic comments of her detractors!

16. Jen
    November 11, 2009 at 13:05 — Reply

I find it ludicrous that anyone would take offence to this article. Hit a raw nerve? Bee in your bonnet, anyone? To cast these silly aspersions from the safety net of your room like enraged little hermits – “how DARE you insult my fleece” – as if this is some major political rally is frankly ridiculous. Get things in perspective. This is a witty, brilliant article written in the fashion pages, about fashion. So calm the F down, yeah.

17. Phi
    November 11, 2009 at 13:19 — Reply

I really wish that everyone would stop using the word ‘unbiased’ on here. If you feel that an article is offensive please write to us, otherwise please recognise that if every article published was unbiased and unopinionated, the magazine would be terribly dull.
    Great article! Very enjoyable!

18. James
    November 11, 2009 at 14:06 — Reply

I find the comments by the cool people who ‘so love’ this article even funnier than those by the fleecy geeks who take offence. If you really discount your adversaries’ opinions so much why respond in such a defensive way? You’re really letting your pashmina-slinging big-leather-bag-shouldering throw-off i-couldn’t-give-a-f**k guard down guys.
    X.

19. Janneke
    November 11, 2009 at 14:15 — Reply

Woah okay, I’ve obviously opened a can of worms here.

Yes I took offence to this article and yes I didn’t think this article was in jest, but why all the personal attacks? I’ve spoke to a few people about this article and they also thought it was quite offensive.

I understand that Jasmin you’re going to defend your article so I don’t really have any more to say to you – you have your opinion and I have mine, and shock horror, I can cope with that. I just wanted you to see that the article could be interpreted in different ways. It does kinda stink of ugg boot wearing legging clad rah – even if you’re not, that’s the way in comes across.

But for someone to call me that ‘stinky, sweaty, fat minger you see in george green studying by herself’ is just ridiculous. I thought these pages were for debate – not for abuse.

20. November 11, 2009 at 14:24 — Reply

What you saying about news Phi? 😉

And Janneke if your intention was to debate, why did you open up with the ad hominems? When it comes to criticising somebody’s standpoint, accusing them of having money isn’t really a compelling argument, and you open yourself up to retaliatory criticism in a similar vein.

21. Libby
    November 11, 2009 at 14:43 — Reply

The offensive comment will be removed, but please bear in mind your original comment was also a personal attack, albeit a far less graphic one.

I also wonder that people can’t just leave it be, whether or not this article appealed to your sense of humour it was clearly a joke, and merely mocked a certain style of clothes, just as you yourself mock “Ugg-wearing” and “pashmina-slinging” rahs.

I’ll also admit that you see a lot more fleeces than Ugg boots around the Impact office, yet all of us were perfectly happy to print this article.

22. Janneke
    November 11, 2009 at 15:11 — Reply

Fair enough if you think my comment was a personal attack – but I wasn’t actually saying that Jasmin’s was on daddy’s payroll, I just wanted to make it clear that some people just can’t buy new clothes every time fashion changes. It was clearly ‘in jest’.

But I attacked Jasmin’s snobbery – because that is what it was – snobbery. I find it rather funny that this issue has been ignored, and everyone had only been able to defend the article on my, possibly short-sighted, use of the words ‘daddy’s pay-roll’ and the fact it’s ‘humorous’. Its humour is base and is derived from the mockery of a group of people who don’t really deserve it.

23. November 11, 2009 at 16:04 — Reply

I’m uneducated on the issues of fashion – I see fleeces as a wonderful warm item of clothing and I’m proud of my backpack because i can fill it with pukka pads and chocolate treats to my heart’s content!

I get over the criticisms of the above choices by noting that, for all my fashion utilitarianism, I won’t be the person freezing cold and with my notes soaked by rain when I’m waiting at the bus stop. Now ‘that’ is a humorous sight 🙂

Plus the George Green-ites are probably far more employable than us layabout arts students. We have to make ourselves feel better somehow!

24. person with a sense of humour
    November 11, 2009 at 16:23 — Reply

wow

is this the school playground? Janneke, B, and Ben Allen, you have shown yourself to be completely devoid of all sense of humour and made yourselves look like petulant children.

The article was quite evidently satirical to anyone with more than 3 brain cells. Thank god u didnt read the Sanctuary if this article is too complex for you.

ignore them jasmine – personal attacks are out of order and you deserve an apology

25. Emma B-R
    November 11, 2009 at 20:20 — Reply

To the oversensitive:
    It seems you have failed to realise what decent behaviour constitutes…
    For intelligent people your sheer lack of decorum is more of an embarrassment to Nottingham University than Miss Watts’ article will ever be. The hypocrisy of your comments is beyond stunning.
    Take for example the fact that you have all criticised this article for targeting a small minority of students. In parts I suppose it could be considered unfair however – this is the funny bit – you are all targeting not just a small group but one individual with your rather lame and inappropriate comments. By doing so you are not alleviating the situation, you are merely highlighting your own hypocrisy and your lack of imagination.
    The tone in which this piece is written is clear to anyone of some intellect; (taking into consideration that you “came to university to do a degree” you must be of reasonable intelligence – that being a presumption on some of you, not necessarily fact) that it is in jest. It seems your intelligence is so overpowering that you’ve forgotten how to take a joke?
    However, not so funny are the personal comments made to Miss Watts in reference to her – how some put it – “daddy’s payroll”
    Who are you to make any reference or make any judgement upon a person over a 350 word article in the style section? Evidently your degree has not only failed to teach you a sense of humour (which some of you clearly need a lesson on) but you have also patently forgotten plain social etiquette. Next time I suggest you think before you put your grubby little fingers to your keyboard in an attempt to write something cutting and controversial in hope that it may be condoned by others.

26. I heart binary
    November 11, 2009 at 21:24 — Reply

I, for one, am shocked and appalled that this kind of article has been published in an award winning paper/website.

I thought I would browse the style section to discover what colour anoraks are in this season, or which socks go best with sandals yet all I found was a short piece of well written satire that I took as a personal attack on myself and all my beliefs.

Believe you me, my online girlfriend and I won’t be visiting the ‘style’ section any time soon (but we will of course peruse the technology section!).

Regards,

Jedi Knight Luke (Skywalker)

p.s. jasmin is a broad

27. jasmin
    November 11, 2009 at 22:16 — Reply

Luke!

But well done for getting into the spirit of things

28. Lara
    November 12, 2009 at 13:20 — Reply

To be honest i love my daddys payroll, if it wasnt for that Visa i dont know where I would be

29. Bill
    November 12, 2009 at 13:34 — Reply

I think that this article, very well written and clearly in jest, reflects dominant prejudices and social divisions within the university; hence the strong response in this thread.

The article should not have been published. It is clearly inflammatory and has the potential to upset people who feel they are looked down upon for the way they dress.

Janneke lost her political capital by personally attacking Jasmine; but those who responded so viciously were completely out of hand.

Jasmine, I find your writing very engaging and humourous, but maybe you should direct your satirical pen to less inflammatory topics?!

Also, I feel compelled to add that, though your grades are impressive, my overall average is higher than yours so you can’t stress your intellectual superiority over me.

XoXoX

30. Libby
    November 12, 2009 at 15:09 — Reply

Please Bill, tell me why we shouldn’t print inflammatory articles?

Were that the case, we couldn’t report on the regular Israel/Palestine debates and protests, or provide a point of view on anything. I certainly wouldn’t want to read or edit a magazine which didn’t make me think or make me laugh, or even both.

I’m glad people are responding to Jasmin’s article, as she says: There’s no such thing as bad press. At least people are reading the magazine!

And if even the stalwart anti-fashionistas are perusing the Style section, I can only imagine that the News and Features sections are positively outstripping the BBC website in popularity!

31. Rob
    November 12, 2009 at 15:41 — Reply

What kind of society do we live in these day, all someone has to do to incite censorship is ‘thats inflammatory’ or ‘im offended’. Theres nothing wrong with being offended, its your right to feel offence, but to argue that this and other articles should not be published is utterly against the spirit of a free society and journalism. We are all grown up and we have to live in the same public sphere, we should accept that a price we have to pay for a free society is that at times we will be offended.

32. Jason
    November 12, 2009 at 19:06 — Reply

What an interesting thread.

Jasmine, I notice that you have an open profile on facebook and took the liberty of a perusal, hope you don’t mind.

You went to Portsmouth Grammar School eh?!
    – Fees between £7000-11000 per year? And you say your father’s a ‘welder’?
    – Forgive me if I don’t believe you! You clearly made this lie so you could have a silly little retort in your over the top response to Janneke- well done you!
    – Also, forgive me for being pedantic, but gold actually is a form of metal (you’ve clearly benefited from your superior private education there!)

33. Diego
    November 12, 2009 at 19:22 — Reply

Fair enough the article is meant in jest but that dosen’t stop it being offensive to some.

I could take the writers reply more serioulsy if she wasn’t try to cram a witticism into every sentence. There is such a thing as trying to hard love.

The fact you couldn’t offer a serious reply suggests that maybe you don’t have one.

I’m not actually sure what a fleece is so i can’t pass comment myself. But there is definitely an undercurrent of snobbery at the university which the uproar around this article is starting to expose.

34. Lucy
    November 12, 2009 at 19:56 — Reply

I don’t understand why everyone seems to be so valiantly defending their right to dress badly – by all means, keep your “fuzzy form of contraception” if you love it so dearly (and Diego, a fleece is a bulky, unflattering winter coat). Jasmin wasn’t out to make fleeces illegal, merely to offer, as the title suggests “a few words of advice”. Believe me, you might look a lot better if you listen to her.

35. Phi
    November 12, 2009 at 20:07 — Reply

Jason, that’s well creepy……

36. jasmin
    November 12, 2009 at 20:28 — Reply

STALKER!

I went to Portsmouth Grammar School. Fees are that much if you don’t have a BURSARY & a SCHOLARSHIP. none of which is any of your business, but you have made it your business apparently.

Do you have nothing better to do??? going on my facebook!!? seriously, that is just weird

37. Nick Medhurst
    November 12, 2009 at 21:55 — Reply

Haha! I stumbled across this article and found that “I” had commented on it. However, I agree with the sentiment so…

“Blah Blah Blah

Any one who takes offence to this article is a mug. Get off your high horse and return to the social underworld where you came from. Thank you Impact, for providing a nice balance of humorous and intellectual articles. Any one who disagrees, try and do better. Don’t shit your pants on this comment page you social recluse.”

*Would never use the word mug; own a high horse so would be hypocritical; would always spell “any one” anyone; am a social recluse so would also be hypocritical.

I read football articles all the time and read this same sort of endless one side versus the other stuff played out 24/7 . It’s so boring.

The article was NOT offensive, unless you happen to worship your fleece or rucksack. It was funny… but not to everybodys taste, obviously.

I don’t laugh at Steve Coogan; I don’t need to tell him.

38. Nick Medhurst
    November 12, 2009 at 21:58 — Reply

Emma B-R spanked your asses.

39. John
    November 12, 2009 at 22:50 — Reply

As Mr Skywalker stated, this is the style section of a magazine – it’s meant to be about fashion – so for those interested in blindly following someone elses instructions on how to look then it’s probably quite useful! And even if I disagree with it, the article itself is reaction-provoking and to be fair pretty well-written. Impact shouldn’t be full of bland opinion-less articles, it needs strong opinions and controversial topics. Debate is good – if someone holds a completely different opinion then they should look to get a scathing attack published, I’m sure Impact would print that as well!

I personally read this as essentially a bitchy, superior and snobby article which implies, in the writers opinion, that the 1/11 mentioned over-concerned about their own appearance and the latest fashion trends are in some way better than the 10/11 who ‘get it wrong’ yet are happy as they are. But I enjoyed reading it, it’s what debate/democracy is all about! If we all had the same opinion life would be boring!

What’s not on is the judgemental and personal abuse in the comments that have followed, particular that given to Janneke and the stalking of Jasmin. No need for this at all – get a grip guys.

Much love x

40. November 12, 2009 at 23:14 — Reply

I’m honestly staggered at the lack of a sense of humour in some people. IT’S A BIT OF FUN! If you’re seriously getting offended over a comment on your fleece, I worry about what’s going to happen once you stop playing with your calculators and protractors and get into the real world.

As for the creepy Jason character, I certainly wouldn’t want to bump into him in an anorak on a dark night. Or a fleece for that matter….

41. November 12, 2009 at 23:47 — Reply

At least we know that if we want to mobilise the university population, we shouldn’t talk about tuition fees, the environment or the plight of Gaza, we should just suggest that they are wearing the wrong kind of coat and carrying their books in an aesthetically poor receptacle.

42. Jaan Argge-Fjortoft
    November 13, 2009 at 00:07 — Reply

Let’s get all of this foreplay over and done with…

Jasmin- A great piece of amusing writing.
    Janekke- You seem to think that this is a personal attack on you and your friends. Go and take your crazy complaints to the PCC. Then you won’t only be laughed at by people on here, but you will be laughed at by old men in suits in London.

This shows that the things that matter to students the most is cliqes and stereotypes.

Nerds- Don’t be bitter of the rah’s. Your more likely to pass your degree and get a job.
    Rah’s- Your not that cool and you follow silly trends like Uggs.
    Jocks- Play sport and don’t get your cock out at Ocean.
    Others- Carry on being yourself. That’s the coolest thing you can do. Wear what you want. Do what you want.

Please stop argueing over this article, argue on more pressing issues.

43. J Perry
    November 13, 2009 at 00:24 — Reply

They key point, surely, is that this article just isn’t funny. It’s Hello magazine humour. It’s like someone’s 13-year-old sister remarking about how awful her friends’ clothes are. “The George Green Library, oh my god it’s sooooo bad it’s like a fashion purgatory…Oh my god. Don’t. Wear. A. Fleece.” Well guess what? Those one-word sentences don’t make for funny reading. They’re just. Fucking. Lame.

There was a time when you could expect student journalism to put out incisive commentary, cutting-edge satire, or at least some bizarrist surrealism. The kind of stuff that not only made you laugh, but made you respect the canniness of the writers observations. This article won’t be getting any such laughs I’m afraid.

44. November 13, 2009 at 00:26 — Reply

I had only even heard of a ‘rah’ this term. Must be a southern thing.

45. lol
    November 13, 2009 at 00:35 — Reply

Urban Dictionary
    Someone who went to private school (or wish they had), likes rugby (not football), probably a member of a rowing, sailing or yachting club, refer to their parents as “Mummy and Daddy”. Boys: often seen to be wearing a lemon (or any pastel shade) sweatshirt slung casually over their shoulders and deck shoes.
    Girls:Dress similar to that of boys along with pearls, numerous shopping bags and Daddy’s credit card.
    Names often include: Rupert, Will, Guy, Jeremy, Emily, Alexandra, Henrietta, Harriet. Followed by a double/triple barrelled surname, e.g. Harrington-Smythe.

46. Hattie
    November 13, 2009 at 00:55 — Reply

Jasmin this article is great. Really funny. And good journalism is controversial after all…

47. Diego
    November 13, 2009 at 01:08 — Reply

I think the article itself isn’t the problem but the way people have reacted shows that there is a bit of tension going on at the uni.

I had never heard of a rah either or ugg boots for that matter!

48. Libby
    November 13, 2009 at 03:04 — Reply

Let’s not slag off Hello! magazine, it’s actually quite high end and primarily follows the royals and A listers, it doesn’t participate whatsoever in the circling of sweat patches, etc that Heat and others are so keen on.

I wonder if comments on this article have exceeded those on the Israeli ambassador’s visit yet?

And Jasmin, I think you should write a column for us, website traffic has increased outrageously since you became public enemy number 1.

49. J Perry
    November 13, 2009 at 08:30 — Reply

Well we can think what we want about Hello! magazine, but it’s not going to win a Pulitzer Prize, and I doubt it’ll be nominated for any upcoming comedy awards. Like this article, it’s got the comedic wit of Loose Women trying to give a standup set.

And to suggest, Hattie, that good journalism is about being controversial is utterly, utterly ridiculous, and is probably one of the reasons why journalism has lost so much respect as a profession in the last few decades. Journalism should aim to tell the truth, and to entertain. Being “controversial” makes people read things in the way that a mutilated family in a motorway accident makes people turn their heads on the freeway. Journalists like you lot might call it a success; the rest of the world calls it a fucking car crash.

50. Confused
    November 13, 2009 at 11:02 — Reply

So, first, people who hate fashion were reading the style section… Now people who hate journalists are reading magazine websites… Bit of a masochistic streak going on here

51. November 13, 2009 at 11:03 — Reply

Libby, the comments on here surpassed the Israeli Ambassador’s visit a long, long time ago! This page has more comments on it than both of the Ambassador stories combined.

J Perry has a point. I’d like to think journalists aren’t just wind-up merchants. Perhaps it’s because there are so many writers around nowadays; the only way to get the attention is by deliberately pissing people off. Just look at Jan Moir, after all.

Whether the incitement of controversy makes good journalism depends on what the definition of ‘good journalism’ is, I guess.

52. November 13, 2009 at 11:04 — Reply

Haha! Anybody know how to get back to page 1 of the comments?

53. November 13, 2009 at 13:54 — Reply

Having never had sex I have no need of the “fleece” contraception, however I do enjoy wearing them- not just for the range of colours but for their sheer practicallity.

I do think some things need to be addressed in your article- everyone knows Millets was SO last year. This year Cotswolds is MUCH cooler.

Although I could carry my books around in a hand bag, this could potentially put undue stress on my shoulder. The fanny pack is ergonomically designed to reduce stress on the body and be comfortable. Althought those “all too cool” Hallwarders may think them uncool, little do they know they’ll be walking around at 50 with different height shoulders!

In my opinion for every 10 people in GG that get it right, there’s always one that should be in Hallward!

**For those out there too simple to see this is written slightly in jest- please don’t reply**

54. CJ
    November 13, 2009 at 15:24 — Reply

This doesnt specify gender much does it?
    Id find my boyfriend much sexier in a fleece and raincoat than riding a poncy little bike with a basket lol

55. Jasmin
    November 13, 2009 at 15:36 — Reply

Glad my public lynching is good publicity! Oh the cruel, cruel world of journalism… 🙂

56. Danny
    November 14, 2009 at 00:56 — Reply

I know I’m heading down a path that’s well-trodden, but I wanted to add my weight to the not inconsiderable pile of vitriolic criticism that has been amassed.

Blah blah…fleeces…blah blah…ignorant and judgmental point of view…blah blah…Impact is shameful…blah blah.

You get the gist.

57. A
    November 14, 2009 at 14:20 — Reply

This is all pretty boring now.

58. J
    November 14, 2009 at 16:36 — Reply

any chance of getting p.1 back?

59. November 16, 2009 at 12:08 — Reply

URN’s news show The Pulse will be discussing this article with Jasmin and one of her ‘adversaries’ at 5pm this evening.
    URN1350.net

60. November 16, 2009 at 14:31 — Reply

For anyone who’s interested, URN will be hosting an interview with Jasmin “The Devil” Watts on The Pulse tonight at 5pm. Tune in to hear her defend her position on all things fleecey.

61. Hattie
    November 16, 2009 at 16:00 — Reply

website wouldn’t let me comment last week – but Jasmin – controversial journalism is good – i loved this article from the first time i read it. So funny, so tongue in cheek, definitely requires a sense of humour to appreciate…

62. Cardiff Jon
    November 17, 2009 at 09:19 — Reply

Love the article, found it hilarious. Journalism isn’t (just) about p’ing people off, it’s about finding a voice and Jasmine clearly has.

I’d like to point out that I do have the odd fleece and wear them proudly when trekking across the wilderness, but I don’t take any offence to these comments at all because it’s truly light hearted banter. (And because I know to keep them out of harm’s way during a fashion war.)

That said, I’ll battle to a literary death over the use of the back pack. But then I am over thirty.

Cheers…

63. jasmin
    November 20, 2009 at 00:19 — Reply

oooh Jon I think I’ll let you off!

Hope the pubs of Cardiff (the ‘wilderness’) were good to you on monday…

x

64. Cardiff Jon
    December 9, 2009 at 14:27 — Reply

Ha, thanks Jasmin. Sorry for the late reply, just checked this on a slow afternoon and didn’t realise you’d posted back.

Pubs always tend to treat me well…once they’ve got my card behind the bar.

I’m working in Nottingham now so I’ll start digesting your style reviews like mother’s milk, taking them as gospel in my attempts to fit in with the local glitterati. (Cardiff City and Welsh rugby shirts stand out like a sore thumb round here; not that I own either.)

Au revoir…
    Jon
    The Undercover Welshman.

65. Tim
    December 12, 2009 at 14:55 — Reply

chill out

66. Cardiff Jon
    December 16, 2009 at 12:27 — Reply

Who me?

Perfectly chilled cheers Tim…

67. jasmin
    January 6, 2010 at 13:50 — Reply

Jon it’s your first taste of being called out for no reason,

pretty soon they’ll be posting your school fees on the internet

x

68. S
    January 15, 2011 at 18:04 — Reply

Heard about this article and thought I’d check it out. I’ve tried cycling with handbags and it just doesn’t work, falls off our shoulder and I had to fashion it as a backpack anyway (poor Topshop handbag). I dress very fashionably and think the backpack is exceptionally practical and sits quite comfortably on the shoulders-you should try it.

And each to their own-the people at George Green are probably having a laugh at the Hallward clones in their Ugg boots. Actually I’m sure they’re above such pettiness.