Kids and grown-ups love it so, the happy world of… haricot. At least in Nottingham, that is.

Nottingham students are the country’s foremost consumers of baked beans, according to price comparison website mysupermarket.co.uk. Recent research has revealed that the musical fruit costs those studying at Nottingham Trent and the University of Nottingham an average of £25.68 each year, making us the nation’s top tooters.

The ability of baked beans to fill stomachs for a relatively cheap price has always made it a firm favourite amongst students, to such an extent that it has become a central part of the student stereotype. While they are not particularly good for your heart, they are high in fibre and contain low saturated fat and cholesterol, allowing students to give it the beans – whatever their chosen pastime – without worrying about gastrointestinal problems. They are also easy on the bank balance, for any bean counters out there.

A spokesman for the website spilled the beans on the survey: “Classic meal snacks such as baked beans and oven chips will always be a firm favourite with the student population.” With Nottingham students evidently so full of beans, the question facing those who aren’t so keen is, to bean, or not to bean, lest they be branded a ‘has bean’.

Dave Jackson

Mischief, Mishaps and Mayhem - CouchSurfing: You either love it, or hate it

Antipode @ Lakeside Arts Theatre