The Centre for Career Development is to launch a new employment agency to help students find part-time work. The service will be up and ready by the start of next term and one of its priorities is to provide students with jobs that pay a decent wage. As the jobs market continues to look gloomy for graduates, students are being advised to start preparing earlier by securing skills and work experience and making the most of the resources available to them.

Stephen McAuliffe, director of the Centre of Career Development emphasises that the best thing that students can do is to begin thinking about obtaining skills and experience as soon as possible in order to stand the best chance of finding a job after university. “There’s no question about the importance of your degree, but the trick is to add value to it,” he explained. This can be achieved by taking part in a sports team, society, volunteering scheme or part-time job, even if it is only casual bar work.

Taking a gap year after completing your degree is an advisable option, “but not if you’ll just be lying on a beach in Bali,” recommended McAuliffe, “although working at the café beside the beach is okay!”

If you are starting to think about what to do after graduation (yes, unfortunately it will happen to us all), the best thing to do is pop into the Centre for Career Development, which can be found on D floor of Portland. There you can sit down with a careers adviser or get your CV reviewed. To find out more or to book an appointment, visit http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/careers/.

Justine Moat

Stranger Danger

Decade Profile – The 1960s