Nottingham may be world-famous for its legend of Robin Hood, the man who would steal from the rich and give to the poor, but new findings show that residents of the city today just, well… steal.

Research carried out by the home insurance provider Moneysupermarket.com shows that four of the top 20 burglary hotspots in the UK are in Nottingham.  The results were gathered by analysing from which postcode districts people most frequently made claims for theft or burglary on their home insurance.  According to the data, you are more likely than anyone else in the country to be burgled if your postcode begins ‘NG5’, that is, if you live in the Arnold area.  The third most burgled area in the UK is West Bridgford, and positions 11 and 12 of the top 20 are also occupied by Nottinghamshire districts: Sherwood and Bilborough respectively.  These findings confirm that the only other city you are more likely to be burgled in is London, which has five of its postcode districts in the top 20.

It may come as a surprise to some that the student area of Lenton did not feature on the list, especially considering that Kimbolton Avenue was named as the most burgled street in Britain in 2006. Nevertheless, these findings show that Nottingham is far from shaking off its reputation for crime and it is wise to keep your stuff safe to avoid becoming a statistic.

Justine Moat

Parking Levy causes controversy for Council

Graduates face being exploited in current crisis