This summer, Nottingham students undertook the largest student charity expedition ever in the UK. Almost 300 students flew to Tanzania and Nepal to climb to the summit of Kilimanjaro and Everest base camp to raise money for Childreach International, a health and educational charity.

In association with our very own Karnival organisation, the trips raised over £650,000 for charity in just six months, and saw students do everything from selling erotic underwear on campus to knitting woollen chickens. Many students went on to volunteer for a school’s project in Tanzania.

Of course, such a trip couldn’t go without a hitch: four students contracted malaria, and several of the greedier government officials had to be bribed, but – in stark contrast to the 2008 trip – at least nobody was infected with Herpes.

One participant stated that the trip was: “Undoubtedly the hardest thing I have ever done – especially the summit night – but so worth it, especially to see the local schools and children who benefited directly from our fundraising.”

Plans are already underway for the 2010 trip, which will include volunteers building an entire primary school over the course of the summer. Visit HYPERLINK “http://www.notts2kili.com” www.notts2kili.com to get involved!

Henry Blanchard

Nottingham not up to the Challenge

The Tram comes to campus