This summer, the Government gave the go ahead for “NCT phase two”, the long awaited extension to the Nottingham tram system. The current tram line, which runs seven miles north from the train station to Hucknall, will be joined by two new lines – the first to run south of the City, towards the Trent Clifton campus. Much more pertinent to Nottingham students will be the second line, set to run from the city centre through campus via the QMC and Lenton, into Beeston and Long Eaton.

Whilst the location of the route will not make it practical for students on the Derby road strip to take to Uni, it offers several intriguing route possibilities. With stops at both the University West and south entrances, as well as between the QMC & East entrance, plus Beeston High street, the current location of D2’s in Lenton, and the City Centre, it’s easy to see how getting around in Nottingham could become a lot easier in the future.

Construction is scheduled to start as early as next year, for completion by 2013 – just in time for this year’s freshers to reap the benefits come graduation.

The scheme will cost a projected £630million, with £100m coming from the Workplace Parking Levy (WPL) and the other £530m direct from the Government. Cllr Jane Urquhart (Nottingham City Council’s portfolio holder for Transport & Area Working) said: “This is a massive boost for Nottingham – even more of our residents and visitors will be able to use a clean, modern and efficient tram to travel in and out of the city.”

Visit thetram.net for a detailed map of the new routes.

Henry Blanchard

Nottingham students break fundraising record

Parking Levy causes controversy for Council