The dust has settled from a raucous introduction to the university year. After the confusion of two fresher’s weeks we can see Nottingham’s dance music nights taking shape into a pretty distinguishable list of gigs to see. Our electronic events have fought well to present us with some weighty DJ line ups and they hope now they have their regulars. So here goes a somewhat definitive list of what DJs you have right at your doorstep and what you can expect from them over the next few weeks:

Friday 6th

Marcus Garvey Ballroom. Rubberdub 2nd Birthday: Krome & Time/ 16Bit/ Sukh Knight. Back once again, after the shocking (but unsurprising!) closure of spiritual home Blueprint, Rubberdub rears its head again to deliver deep jungle and dubstep under the curved ceiling of the Marcus Garvey Ballroom. Jungle legends Krome & Time are guaranteed fun (NB Mc Time) and 16Bit’s alternative dubstep sound will shock. ‘Inna Rubbadub style!’. £8

Stealth. Girls Go Free: Doorley & Tomb Crew: Using a dubstep wobble on fiery electro remixes of big tunes from Bassment Jaxx and Kanye West, if that’s your thing catch Doorley. Supported by the Tomb Crew gang Stealth is sure to have a Skins’ Party vibe. £6. GIRLS GO FREE!

Saturday 7th

Stealth Vs Resue Rooms: Sticky & Oneman: The resurgence of garage continues. Sticky’s ‘dirtypop’ sound bridges a gap over traditionally male dominated dance floors… Basically girls go nuts for the sticky… Oneman has had such a massive impact on all-out-darkness garage; fusing 2-step, dubstep and wonk; his crossfader swings from one vinyl to the other effortlessly. £6 NUS

Golden Fleece Pub: Dj Derek: The pub’s 4th Birthday sees the arrival of abit of a legend. The 67 year-old dub reggae don with a penchant for Wetherspoons pubs and National Express coaches hosts the Golden Fleece lock in. Mixing solely on cassettes this gentleman of the dub promises an intimate evening. FREE

The Bodega Social. Basslaced Presents: N-Type: Quite simply the most technically gifted dj in dubstep. On the DSF Soundsytem and with the rhythmic bouncing of bodies N-Type literally shook the floor of the Social Club earlier in the year. Nottingham’s premier dubstep night continues to pull in the biggest talent. £6

Tuesday 10th

Brownes. For The Win Records Present: Goth Trad/ Ashburner b2b Goli. Nottingham’s own dubstep label continue their night in fine style, flying over their DJ from Japan. Mixing on what resembles a Nintendo Game Boy Goth Trad’s imitable, industrial and ravey take on dubstep is not to be missed. Ashburner and Goli continue to make waves with their energetic, grimey sets as well. £3. Free b4 11.

Friday 13th

Muse. Flight club: Spam Chop: New night Flight Club continue their rotation of drum and bass, techno and dubstep with a performance from Wigflex label owner and Nottingham’s techno corner-stone: Spam Chop. £3. Free b4 10:30

Market Bar. Happy Go Lucky: Vrecordings Speicial, Jumpin Jack Frost/ Ruffstuff. Drum and Bass institution V recordings have maintained an incredibly high standard of releases from Roni Size to Dillinger. JJ Frost has been about since the mid 80’s and doesn’t come round that often at all! £8

Thursday 19th

Dogma: Silkie: Silkie does exactly what he says on the tin. His silky, sexy, rolling dubstep had made him a regular headliner at most dubstep events. Flawless mixing, a spotless new album ‘City Limits’ and endless tunes prove him and his ‘Anti-Social’ crew are single-handedly changing the perception of dubstep into a more fluid, jazzy genre. FREE

Friday 20th

Stealth. Dollop: Count & Sinden/ Aeroplane/ Nero: A firm favourite among Nottingham’s electro junkies Dollop delivers another stellar line up. Holding a firm place as both Annie Mac and Zane Lowe’s electro favourites The Count and Sinden have a prolific list of number one dance hits. Nero’s remix of the streets ‘blinded by the lights’ is sure to get some airtime. One for bright colours and glow sticks. £8

Muse. Flux Sessions: Synkro: Synkro’s approach to 140bpm music is an entirely ambient offering, delivering his audience a beautiful landscape of bass-driven sounds. Flux Session’s second night follows in much the same slinky smooth vibes as it’s first. Keep an eye on Flux! £3

Saturday 21st

The Bodega Social Club. Highness Sound System: Nottingham’s executive dub reggae sound system will be delivering dubweight classics whilst nestled in the nook of second floor Bodega. £7

Tuesday 24th

Rescue Rooms. Portico Quartet: Again I’m scouting beyond the limits of dance music, but, the Portico Quartet represent some remarkable off-centre modern jazz; as their nomination for Mercury Music Award will vouch for. Notably the scuttling fingers of percussionist Duncan Bellamy are a great sight on one of the world’s rarest instruments, the ‘hang’ drum. £9

Friday 27th

Moog. Soul Buggin: Benji B: As Radio1 Xtra dj Benji B has built up a name for himself as a diverse disc jockey encompassing just about everything from house, broken beats and techno through to disco, soul and hip hop. £5

Stealth. Detonate: Benga/ Marky/ Ms Dynamite: Detonate has sold out three nights in a row now and their next line up is in danger of causing the same annoyances to ticket-buying slackers. With popularity burgeoning after the success of anthem ‘Night’ Benga’s role in the league of extraordinary gentlemen (of dubstep) is set in stone after a series of huge releases under the Tempa label. Dj Marky returns to Detonate to offer the finest cuts of tropical subbass all the way from Brazil. Don’t ignore the enigma that is Ms Dynamite, often accused of not showing her face enough, she has more recently been accused of causing a dancehall bashment explosion with her ragga vocals. £12

Saturday 28th

The Marcus Garvey Ballrooms. Firefly: Spektre/ Caged baby: Lenton Boulevard’s techno showcase welcomes Spektre, with their haunting dark techno the dj pair often give Berlin’s minimal crowd a run for their money. £10

Ben Allen

Masculinity, Monster Munch and ‘Man Points’

Interview: Editors