It turns out that the world’s biggest (and most fear-inspiring) machine, The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) might finally have justified its £6bn cost after becoming operational on 10 September 2008. The particle accelerator, which tests predictions of high-energy physics in an ultimate quest to reveal clues about the origins of the universe recently made scientists rejoice when it recorded a successful collision between two groups of sub-atomic particles. For those of you without a physics degrees, this is good news and a key marker in the search for the much documented Higgs Boson particle.

The LHC’s purpose is to allow scientists to understand such phenomena as dark matter, antimatter and supersymmetry, with the aim to discover how the universe once scattered energy at vast speeds some 13.7bn years ago, resulting in the formation of the sun, stars and life as we know it. The as-yet-to-be-proven Higgs Boson – dubbed the ‘God Particle’ by the media – is thought of by some scientists as an integral component of the material world and its discovery would help to explain the origin of mass in the universe.
Physicists now seem to have learnt the ropes in Geneva, with recent beam intensities of over 450 GeV spinning around the 17 mile tunnel. It’s about time really – an explosion in September 2008 saw a 20 ton superconducting magnet free itself from its mountings, shutting the entire project down for months and costing £24m. Disaster struck again in November 2009 when a passing bird dropped a piece of bread into the machine, causing it to short circuit.

Nonetheless, Fabiola Gianotti who represents the Atlas experiment (the large detector manufactured to identify the Higgs Boson) remains optimistic: “This is great news, the start of a fantastic era of physics”.

Ben Griffin

Decade Profile: The 1970s

What, Better than 300?

1. nagaE
    January 12, 2010 at 11:52 — Reply

This very happy to say with unique way to make whole this science in to space from earth by me from India bangalore with live show ATOMIC reaction on earth is true big- bang there is no big bang see this live test at an open place with lay man help to prove on earth before masses still this science is really in bad shape with rigid manner and rough nature one on this earth will ready to show live proof for life creation.
    With organic matter how created in to inorganic matter in this living nature with in metal see first than speak how far this science this is never vanishing technology proof .
    There is no knowledge with this science old books fod use to analysis old matter to get awards there is no new matter creation or new technology creation with scinience.
    this is my wisdom and my hard work on metal for thirty long years in this subject with a challenge on this science and this for ever one and only one for ever I am ready to send to any people in this world they can test with in their place many times and get en-light for ever.
    This is one can clear all questions about big-bang never happed and never after this is universe created with never vanishing technology for life from gas to molecule with explosive technology in all this universe from to end only one law and onc time created soft ware with all matter .
    This is only from molecule building blocks to any size matter all doing its own duties on time . This life from molecules with specimens in solid only can travel inthis long distance in space for many trillions of light years with out change and never failed since many millions of light years with one specimen running well with never vanishing technology of this universe life after life in to solid specimens creation is with this metal self assembled before masses.
    Science big-bang never keep this long time one specimen for one life IF that happend this will not recognise like this to mach with old never get it one for whole time and many time will vanish this universe cannot run in this manner with balence in climate and life will mix with animals and plants then there is no science to work for what for what time go.
    This is universe technology for gas to molecules and back to same according this research for ever.
    Thank you all for any solid proof send any by person and see live test and get understand and en-light your self and get people same
    This proof with this metal not one time magic for all time with same result to prove his never vanishing technology of this universe with out BIG- BANG with cool and healthy for all time.
    Thank you all,
    [email protected]

2. Oliver Rickers
    January 12, 2010 at 13:36 — Reply

I think the possibility of finding a unified theory from the results of the LHC is very exiting! Id like to see a massive step like that in my life time.
    Oliver, Chester UK

3. paul
    January 12, 2010 at 21:59 — Reply

The company tells us that the quark cannon will produce the quark-gluon soup responsible for the biggest explosion in the Universe, the big-bang, when a quark -gluon soup exploded with such amazing power that it blew up the space-time of the Cosmos to the size it is now. We discovered in the last decade, when the machine was already commisioned and could not be stopped without shutting down CERN, that a quark condensate is the cause of Nova and Supernova explosions that create pulsars, before thought to be made of neutrons, now known to have a quark-gluon soup in its center. Thus, if a quark-gluon soup exploded with such force as to dillate space-time to the limits of the Universe and a tiny quantity of it starts a Nova reaction, it is obvious that the same quark soup could blow up of the Earth.

4. Angus
    January 13, 2010 at 01:34 — Reply

ah well it would all be over before we even knew it so let’s stop worrying about it.