Is it just me, or is Superbad the most ridiculously unfunny, overrated movie ever, let alone this decade? I know what you’re thinking – Yes, it is just you, Superbad’s hilarious. The bit where that girl bleeds on the fat one. I nearly wet myself. I’ve heard it before and no amount of repeating the policemen’s lines in a really bad American accent will change my mind.

I’m not against comedies in general. Put on an Edgar Wright film and I’ll be in hysterics, it’s simply a difference in quality. Some critics may consider Superbad vulgar and unrealistic, but even this isn’t what’s wrong with the film. It’s just not funny.

I found it very difficult to believe that the three main characters would choose to be friends with each other, and the supposedly touching moments seemed incredibly fake alongside the plethora of dick ‘jokes’. The serious parts seem functionally inserted in order to fool critics that affection sits opposite lowbrow hilarity. Instead, it just comes across poorly written, poorly acted and poorly thought out. And I haven’t even mentioned McLovin.

If you just wistfully chuckled, shook your head, and repeated the name in a nostalgic way, shame on you. It’s up there amongst the ranks of ‘your mum’ comebacks, ‘garlic bread’ and the word ‘banter’, McLovin and his irritating replica t-shirts have been driven into the ground by people who can’t think of something funny to say themselves. It makes me rather angry.
If you violently disagree with my opinion, you’re probably not alone. However, I didn’t even mention the worst thing…I don’t like Anchorman either.

David Bruce

Interview: Peter Jackson and Susan Sarandon

Beauty and the Beast @ Nottingham Playhouse

1. January 12, 2010 at 20:04 — Reply

Your argument is only 1 paragraph long, the rest is just waffle. Your going to have to come up with something better then that to justify why its a bad film.

But I don’t care to listen because its a great movie and I don’t need someone trying to convince me why its bad.

2. Scott Perkins
    January 13, 2010 at 00:57 — Reply

David,
    You have a good point; Superbad is ‘lowbrow’ and caters for the masses through annoyingly addictive catchphrases, just like the rest of Hollywood.
    Chris, I’m affraid your full of crap. This article offers a reflection on a movie that’s been and gone, but is clever in relating it to campus culture whilst doing so. I encourage you to get in touch with the film ed’s and contribute something better in the near future.

3. January 13, 2010 at 20:49 — Reply

This film could be described as lowbrow but that has no relevance on its comedic values. Clerks is a cult comedy classic of the 90’s and it does the exact same thing. Both are made in an anti hollywood way. The film may be about getting laid before going to college but David doesn’t relate it to campus culture.

4. Scott Perkins
    January 14, 2010 at 16:09 — Reply

Chris, I really can’t believe that you have said Superbad is ‘anti Hollywood’. Which studio funded it? Which stars were in it? I look forward to you backing up your claims. Oh, and please don’t compare Superbad to Clerks.
    With regards to David not relating the film to campus culture, I think I see one key word; ‘banter’. This campus adopted word is probably the biggest buzz word on campus and has been for a while.

5. Waffleman

They’re American comedies; you’re obviously as British as a cup of tea. What can I say? It’s just a different sense of humour, and one that unashamedly sits easily with teenagers whilst their parents look on in horror at the plentiful use of expletives. Call it ‘low brow’, but I’m talking target audiences here.

There are equally some Americans who just plain “don’t get” Edgar Wright’s very British comedy brand. It’s this whole “irony” thing, y’know?

6. Adonis
    July 24, 2013 at 17:39 — Reply

Hmm. Well lets see… This movie came out when I was 18 and I’m from NYC. I’ll be 24 in a month and I can honestly say this film still leaves me in stitches upon every viewing. I believe very generation has that one film that is a sum of what is relevant to the kids of that era. Superbad is exactly that and will remain an American cult classic comedy FOREVER