Someone once told me they didn’t like to go to any night that needed a flyer to promote it – that if it wasn’t good enough by reputation alone, then he wasn’t interested. But to take that attitude means you would risk missing gems like the Twisted Hearts Club. Held every other Monday at Pink, Twisted Hearts is a night like no other in Nottingham. Carnival themed, the small club is decked out in heart shapes and brilliant lights, with bodypainters, circus acts and Love Heart sweets scattered about the venue.

The atmosphere is free-thinking and friendly, the music a gritty mélange of dubstep-bassline-jungle-gypsy house with the odd mainstream track mixed in. Like a distant cousin of Demo in its better days, not only is Twisted Hearts worth going to simply for its chaotic charm, but it has an ethical side to it too: their most recent event supported Nyumbani Children’s Centre in Tanzania.

With an egalitarian door policy, drinks from £1.50, and the instruction to ‘bring nothing but your open minds and your dancing shoes’, their next event is a post-exams extravaganza on the 25th January and promises to be unmissable. Launched by two Nottingham University students on 9th November 2009, the night is still young, but seems set to become the ultimate alternative Monday night: unique, unselfconsciously raucous and packed with potential.

Libby Galvin

Notts Police boss resigns after MP criticism

Decade Profile: The 1970s