University denizens have been having a giggle today as a humorous ditty was released on Youtube poking fun at the Students’ Union.

The video – entitled “The Students’ Union shall not budge” – criticises a number of events and people within the Union, as well as wider issues such as houses of multiple occupancy and rising student fees. It has achieved over 100 hits in less than 24 hours as students reminisce about the good old days listening to OPM’s ‘Heaven is a Half Pipe’.

With the comedic tune heard by most of the Exec, Democracy and Communications Officer Dave Hind preferred to look on the bright side, stating that he was “glad to see that students are getting involved in the Students’ Union. I hope the people who made the video are considering running for a position in the elections”.

Hind did, however, note that the video may raise some eyebrows in the SU: “Many of the issues highlighted are real”, he said, “but I think that maybe some of the content in the video might be inappropriate.”

The identity of the creator remains a mystery.

Did you upload this video? Get in touch at [email protected]

Scott Perkins

Impact interviews Reel Big Fish

Recipe - Valentine Cupcakes

1. ha
    February 9, 2010 at 18:14 — Reply

oh my days, this video is complete trash. it was so bad it was funny. ha

2. Daniel Cooper
    February 9, 2010 at 22:43 — Reply

I wonder how much the creator of this video has done to make a difference to student life. It’s always easier to carp from the sidelines.

3. cmonwolves
    February 9, 2010 at 23:00 — Reply

ignoring the quality of the vid, some of the issues put forward r valid – the su should b aware that lack of achievement in certain areas is going to cause back-lashes

4. Vanessa Brown
    February 10, 2010 at 03:57 — Reply

BRILLIANT!

5. Robert
    February 10, 2010 at 10:13 — Reply

Also, 100 hits in 24 hours is much less than the over 700 signatures that the SU managed to collect in 24 hours to tackle tuition fees, which just goes to show what can be done by that actually care rather than claim to. The irony of the above fact is funnier than the video.

6. February 10, 2010 at 11:49 — Reply

Apologies for the poor figures but the video topped 200 views in less than 24 hours. The fact should have read “… 100 views in less than 18 hours.”
    If you consider that this could be the work of one person then that isn’t bad going.

7. Anony Mous

The creator of this video is the guy who made Faruk Patel’s video in his campaign to be Education Officer- he’s a raging left-wing communist.

8. V

It was always going to have been an early election pot shot…

9. conspiracy

There is evidence that the creator of the vid has links with a number of people within the exec. I have personally heard two recent conversations about the video in relation to some organised attempt to undermine the criticized officers cited in the video.