Over the course of the last couple of weeks, Impact has been gathering information and speaking to all of the candidates for the Executive of your Students’ Union. Our reporters have probed, questioned, and endeavoured to find a way of differentiating between the candidates – to find out to just what is underneath the manifestos and what our potential leaders stand for.

Our series continues with the Education Officer, the students’ point of representation within the University of Nottingham for issues that relate to academic studies. It is a diverse position and the elected representative will have a wide range of issues to address and respond to. With areas such as the library, tuition fees and the university’s place in the league tables falling under the Education Officer’s purview, the question is which candidate can deliver on some issues of paramount importance for students – education is why we’re here, after all.

Daniel Gadher writes…

Phil Whitehead
Phil Whitehead

When discussing the role of the Education Officer and how to achieve change, Phil comments that as a representative, “sometimes that happens on the big lobbying scale telling the university we don’t want to pay 7000 pounds for our fees, and sometimes that’s going to happen on the really small scale – perhaps someone who has been unfairly graded and needs representation”. Phil thinks he’s ready for both.

Arguing that “the government’s case for raising fees is flawed”, Phil also addresses the wider issue of the higher education budget, which he says “has [had] a lot of money cut out… which affects any number of things”. He states in his manifesto that while cuts are necessary, he wants to “ensure the University makes educating us a priority”.

Phil also believes that the library facilities of the university are inadequate, pointing out that “academic spending at Nottingham doesn’t compare well with the other top 20 universities”. To address this he says that “one thing I would like to encourage is students letting the library know they want more copies of books”. Another way he seeks to improve the library is “to improve access to the resources we have, whether short loans need to be looked at and 24hour library access extended beyond what it is now”

When addressing his student feedback policy, Phil has seen the need for greater involvement and activity from course representatives, suggesting “training for students who are course reps – just to help them briefly understand how they can be more pro active about finding out what students need”. However, this is not to say that issues will not arise during the year. Phil acknowledges the fact that a lot of his work “could be reactive”, and thinks he is the best man to deal with any problems that come up on the job. The issue of raising awareness of the student body to the issues facing higher education has arguably always been a problem, and it is imperative that any new information gets out to the students as effectively as possible. To assist in this venture, Phil has indicated his intention to set up a blog in an attempt to keep the students informed of issues as and when they occur.

Phil certainly needed to be quick on the draw as captain of last years’ University Challenge team – the question is whether he can apply the lessons he learned from Jeremy Paxman to his campaigning.

Will ‘Bicky’ Bickford Smith
Bicky

The first policy on Will’s manifesto is to get Nottingham back up the league table. This is an ambitious goal and when asked about this policy he says, “I sat and I thought about what the main worry for students is when they are coming to university and when they are leaving, and I think it’s all about a university’s reputation”. Will, known as ‘Bicky’ in his campaign literature, is principally concerned with the fact that “Slowly but surely we have been moving down the table”, and his aim is to improve Nottingham’s standings in the league table by acting on his manifesto policies and improving the “educational experience of the students”.

Will admits there is “no one fixed answer” to getting Nottingham back up the tables but a number of issues will need to be addressed. One area he sees that improvement could be made is in library facilities, and he argues that “it all seems a bit crazy to me that if there is really important reading for students to do, they all rush to the library, get to short loan and the books aren’t there… I’d like to see more core books available.”

Improvement in communication between faculties and students, in Wills opinion, “requires change [in] the tutor system” to amend a system he regards as inefficient. Will feels this will be achieved by “implementing a system where tutors actively care about student’s progression throughout university… none of this new tutor every year”.

Discussing tuition fees, Will states that, “I want to keep fees fair… that doesn’t mean I’m going to campaign to have them scrapped. I don’t think that’s the right way forward”. Looking to the current situation, he feels the need for “a combined contribution for the individual and the state”. To resolve this issue he feels that it is about “finding the right balance”. He suggests this is close to what we have at the moment yet he is adamantly committed to not seeing a rise in tuition fees, commenting the he will make a “firm commitment to actively campaign against the rise in tuition fees. I completely believe that no student should be denied, if they get the right grades, the opportunity to go to university due to a worry about lack of means” he comments.

Talking about his experience for the role, he feels his previous roles – in groups like Politics Soc and as Vice-Chair of the SU Council – will give him adequate experience. He adds that, “I feel like I have my finger on the pulse of the student vibe, and about how they find university education at the moment”

Faruk Patel
Faruk Patel

Faruk Patel’s central policy is concerning tuition fees: “My number one goal if elected is to oppose universities’ attempts to increase tuition fees”. He sees the government’s attempt to remove the tuition fee cap as “fundamentally wrong”, claims that the increase will only have a damaging effect on higher education, and states that the rise will “discourage many people from poorer backgrounds going to university… I will be adamantly opposed to it”. Faruk believes that the way to achieve change is by acting through what he describes as the “effective mobilisation of people” by using “the popular support amongst the students, making your voice heard and running effective campaigns to make sure the university is listening”

Faruk also discusses the student satisfaction survey and its effect on Nottingham University in the league tables. “In recent years I think it is well known the University of Nottingham has slid down the league table and many people have attributed that to the student satisfaction survey”, he said. He has commented that “ever since those surveys have been introduced many students have expressed their dissatisfaction with the amount of contact hours they have with their tutors, the lack of feedback and the lack of academic support”. Faruk pledges that “If elected I promise to bring those concerns and issues that students prioritise to the university management”.

The state of the libraries are another concern for Faruk: “We are meant to be a top ten university but our library does not reflect a top ten university”, he says, “I think the university needs to take a greater interest in this matter. it is one of the reasons why students have cited this as a level of unhappiness with the university… we need to raise this with the university and I will make sure I do that”.

Faruk has several suggestions on how to actively improve student awareness by “making the most use of Facebook” as well as “making more use of the JCR presidents to make it easier to let all the freshers know what is happening at the university” He feels that these will attract student attention to educational issues.
Faruk concludes by saying, “I don’t take this position lightly and I will not take it for granted. I have no doubt, if elected as Education Officer, I can acheive good results”.

Georgia Thresh
Georgia Thresh

Georgia’s motivation for running for the position of Education Officer comes from her experiences as a joint honours student. She argues that “It made me aware of problems and, as this has developed, of other problems the education officer deals with”.

The improvement of departmental communication and co-operation is a large part of Georgia’s manifesto, and she thinks that simply “making sure departments know what’s going on between each other” is of crucial importance in the role of Education Officer. She thinks that at the moment there is “no communication whatsoever”.
Another key part of her manifesto is to place more importance on support systems and structures within the University of Nottingham. The use of ‘buddy’ systems are an important way in which Georgia feels she can improve these. Georgia feels that an improvement to such systems – as already used by some departments – is the way forward. She thinks that ‘buddy’ systems should be “compulsory across the board, so there is always someone to turn to”.

Georgia has also raised concerns over what she feels is an inconsistent marking system and she hopes to rectify this. She claims that “a first in one subject is a lot more difficult to achieve than a first in another”, and feels that only with a more uniformed marking system will opportunities for graduates at the University become fairer.

Georgia suggests that improvements in areas such as Course Representatives can start as early as Week One, stating that she wants “more Course Reps to be more prominent in the departments with more publicity”, and wants to “make Week One the start of the education”.

She is committed to increasing bursaries and keeping course fees down, and while a conspicuous absence from Georgia’s manifesto is a list of experience, Georgia feels that simply being a part of the educational system she has the experience needed to make an improvement: “because I have had to work the whole time I have been at University, I know how difficult it can be”.

Emily Faulkner
Emily Faulkner

“Your ability to take part in education should not be based on your ability to pay” is Emily Faulkner’s forthright stance on the potential rise in tuition fees. Emily feels that if she becomes Education Officer she will need to “work with other higher education and other further education units, putting pressure on MP’s to listen to students”, in an attempt to keep tuition fees manageable.

A rumour had been going around at the time of the interview that reading weeks may start to disappear, and this had caught Emily’s attention. She is adamantly opposed to their removal, as she feels that, “reading weeks allow independent research and taking it away would be detrimental to students”.

Feedback on coursework also features as a policy on her manifesto. She believes that the current system is inadequate, as “at the moment we are getting a number on a page and copied and pasted words”. Emily looks to improve this by pushing for “individual feedback that relates directly to the work we have done”.

Emily believes in being pro-active when it comes to this role, arguing that “the really key thing about this is being active, getting out there, handing out surveys, reviews, making sure the course reps and faculty co-ordinators are doing their jobs properly, and then you can put it in place by taking it to the higher positions”. She pointed out the importance of the satellite campuses when discussing student integration, particularly with Sutton Bonington, Derby and Mansfield. “Making sure all students are looked after and getting the satellite campuses involved are really important things”

Emily also believes that the university needs to do more in making careers advice information easier to access. She states it is all about “bringing accessibility of information to the students”. At the moment she feels that the careers service is insufficient: “The careers centre is full of a variety of information but it is completely inaccessible”, and she thinks that the centre for career development should be more open and more publicised.

For Emily, the priority for the Education Officer will be to “make sure the students are heard” and to remember that “it is our money, it is our education; we need to make sure that things change the way we want”.

Images by Matt Turner

The Fight for the Presidency

SU Exec Officer Threatens to Resign

1. RBarham

I do sort of sympathise with Will Bickford Smith on this. When I applied to Nottingham it had been in the top 10 for years, and I chose it over offers from other top 10’s because I liked the feel of Nottingham’s campus, and because I’d heard the social life was better than, say, Warwick.

I do sometimes regret that decision now. There’s no escaping the fact that Nottingham has slid down to quite low depths (where is it now? Mid-20s?) . Just from being at Impact for a few years I can tell you that employers who used advertise with us a lot don’t do so anymore – and that’s not just because of the recession.

So as much as this guy might get slammed for putting something so removed from the day-to-day educational experience at the top of his manifesto, if I was still eligible to do so I’d probably vote for him.

2. Anon

Surely top quotes of the entire debate were Faruk exclaiming that he would ‘make war’ with the Vice-Chancellor…swiftly followed by ‘Bicky’ accusing him of ‘flip-flopping’ on issues!!

Someone has got to be asking if a one year sabbatical officer thinks they can change a lot if they plan to make ‘war’ with the Top Dog??

Good article though Dan x

3. Anon

Fair comment RBarham. Seems like everyone gets really caught up in the day to day aspects when, looking at the bigger picture, I want my degree from Nottingham to be worth something when I graduate this year!!

Quick check on the Guardian and in the past year we’ve slipped from 19th to 26th…not ideal when you’re behind Aston, Dundee and Sussex – no offence intended ;-p

I know who I’ll be voting for!

4. RBarham

“Making war” with the Vice Chancellor is a ridiculous proposition, and you’d have to be a plank to vote for anyone who suggests it.

I met the VC a couple of times, and while you can criticize aspects of the university’s management you can hardly say the guy doesn’t want Nottingham to do well. The real question is how you can influence him and the management to make changes that will help students. Influence is possible with discussion and understanding, but if you simply cheese the university off, they’ll ignore you.

5. Anony Mous

In the debates Faruk showed that he is a complete reactionary, willing to say anything to appeal to anyone. He said he would make the Vice Chancellor his “enemy” if elected! WHAT!? We simply cannot have somebody like that running our Education.

I agree somewhat with the comments above about ‘Bicky’s’ policy of getting Nottingham back up the league tables. Candidates are never bold enough- at least this guy is offering something different and ambitious to the usual tosh!

6. A nonymous

As somebody that was there at the debate, I can categorically and objectively say that the quote by Faruk here has been misrepresented and blown out of proportions.

Faruk did NOT say: “I will make the Vice Chancellor my enemy”.

Faruk did say (and it’s on the URN tape if you want to have a look): “I will make the VC my enemy if he decides to INCREASE tuiton fees against the wishes of the students”.

Note the use of the word “IF”. This, I believe, is better than having somebody (like the current Exec and ‘Bicky’ it seems) which mollycuddles the management of the University. As Torrance pointed out in the Pres Debate yesterday, “why did the current SU President go watch England vs Ireland at Twickenham with the VC when the VC is currently not listening to our SU”!!?? It defies belief.

I would like to have somebody that genuinely will represent me. That is why Faruk has my vote, and so does Torrance!

7. Anonymous

8. Michael Sturgeon

Word on the campus is that Will ‘Bicky’ Bickford Smith was the President of the Conservative Society…IF THIS IS THE CASE, THEN WHY IS THERE NO MENTION OF THIS ON HIS MANIFESTO!!??

Is it because, maybe, he sees this as being potentially damaging to his campaign to become Education Officer?? IF THIS IS THE CASE, THEn HE’S A COWARD WHO’S WILLING TO DO ANYTHING JUST TO GET ELECTED!! Tut tut. Political hackery.

Or, maybe, has it anything to with the fact that the very notorious and racist craig cox was once the President of the Conservative Society???? IS “BICKY” ANOTHER CRAIG COX??

CAN SOMEBODY MORE INFORMED ON THIS MATTER PLEASE CONFIRM WHETHER THIS BICKY FELLA WAS THE PRESIDENT OF THE TORY SOCIETY…IF SO, WHY NOTHING ON THE MANIFESTO ABOUT IT???

Cheers. Great article btw Dan!

9. Anon

Bicky certainly does have his finger on the pulse. I don’t know a single person that is not concerned about the university’s ranking. Its a relief to know that there is somebody willing to fight for us on this issue!
    A higher university ranking= greater pride in the institution, higher feelings of self-worth, greater confidence in job seeking! plus… these will all lead to greater levels of student satisfaction!

10. RBarham

Even if that is what Faruk said, it’s a nonesense comment. The VC will not be making the decisions on tuition fees, since the issue is decided at a national level.

Personally I have no problem with the Pres hanging out with the VC so long as the relationship is leveraged to get real changes. What do you suppose the management will do, alternatively, if you shun them over their decisions? Come begging to the Portland Building asking for the SU to forgive them?

Disagreement should always be aired and changes should be pushed for, but this should be done so in a reasonable manner and in the context of a constructive relationship. “Making enemies” of the university is not only moronic, but futile.

11. Anonymous

“The VC will not be making the decisions on tuition fees, since the issue is decided at a national level.”

You’re mistaken RBarham if you think the VC has no role to play in the amount of tuition fees the students at Notts Uni have to pay. The VC’s plays the essential role in setting the tuition fees within their respective Universities.

And I too have no problem with our elected student representatives socialising with the management of the University. However, do you not feel RBarham that this becomes a problem when this is done despite the fact that the management are pissing on the students (like they are doing right now with tuition fees, and the failure to cancel exams in Jan because of the snow, etc). You can’t keep on playing “Yes, Sir” forever. At some point somebody needs to stand up.

I admire Faruk’s courage to genuinely want to stand up for the students.

12. RBarham

Well the VC essentially has two roles when it comes to tuition fees:

1. Playing a role in the collective decision-making process in central government and between universities.

2. Deciding what Nottingham’s specific fees are once this decision has been made (i.e. if the cap is raised higher, how high Nottingham will go).

On the second point Nottingham will undoubtedly be forced to go to the upper limit since other universities will be doing the same (and falling behind on investment is something nobody wants). On the first, sure, he has a role, but he’s far from the final arbiter on what happens.

I don’t think the management are perfect, but they’re hardly “pissing on the students” as you claim. In general, university staff work pretty hard to do a decent job, even if their efforts are misdirected some of the time.

Bear in mind that the management is concerned about stakeholders in addition to students. Universities have a duty to hold onto their best staff and to maintain research spending, and that money has to come from somewhere, ya know.

13. anon

Where can we listen or watch the Education debate ? It is great the Presidential debate was aired live, but what about the rest ?

14. Anonymous

Michael Sturgeon says:
    Saturday 6th March 2010 at 10:30 pm

Cheers. Great article btw Dan!

Michael Sturgeon, I heard the same thing from one of my friends the other day, especially the matter regarding craig cox. This is some serious business. I agree with you: we, as voters, deserve to know whether one of the candidates for SU Exec is of this mould. I really do hope that somebody can clarify this matter. I wouldn’t want another tory (or craig cox) on our SU Exec!!! very scary indeed…

15. anon

Bicky was president of the Conservative society.
    http://www.nottinghamcf.co.uk/honorary-presidents/
    “William Bickford Smith (President 2008/09)”

16. Jen

I’d love to see Nottingham higher up the league tables, but it will not be an overnight fix and will probably be way too late for any of us to benefit from. This is not to say I want future students to be put off Nottingham, or to just accept low rankings in league tables. But, if student satisfaction is the problem area, short of asking students to lie about satisfaction and therefore increase Nottingham’s scores, I don’t see what can be done without a complete overhaul of the university’s feedback systems, contact hours and other core procedures – all of which would require huge commitment and likely much larger financial input from the university. I hope that this is possible, it just seems to be a very big goal to aim for. Then again, if you’re going to aim it might as well be high!

Well done Gadman – you’re breaking this story wide open.

17. Dan

There seems to be something of a smear campaign going on here (“Anonymous” 7/3 1:56) – how ironic that you accuse Bicky of cowardice while not using your real name. We can see from your gravatar that you’re the same Anonymous who is campaigning on behalf of Faruk (if not Faruk himself).

18. RBarham

In reality the fall in the league tables is not so much to do with student satisfaction at all. Rather, Nottingham slipped because it lowered its entry tarriff, because its spend per student isn’t spectacularly high, and because the drop-out rate increased somewhat. These are all factors that are spectacularly easy to make progress on, especially (1) and (3), so I do think there is a lot the Education Officer can do.

It’s pretty sad that folks are slamming this guy because he’s a conservative. Believe it or not, some conservatives are not baby-killing, champagne-swilling degenerates.

19. Will 'Bicky' Bickford Smith

Hi.

I came across these comments so thought I would address them head on.

First and foremost- yes I am a former President of the Nottingham Uni Conservatives, just as Faruk was Vice-Chair of Nottingham Uni Labour last year, and Phil is a current Tory member.

As we all have a keen interest in current affairs, and with Faruk and me studying politics, it is logical that we all have political beliefs (as I am sure many readers of this will do). The key is to respect each other’s opinions.

Why did I not put it on my manifesto? Because it’s not my most relevant experience, and because I see being part of the SU Exec as a non-partisan job and thus I did not want people to think that I was running as a Tory candidate. I am not a coward- my background is available for all to see online, as you have found from the Tory website.

As for the claim that because I am a Tory I am in some way “racist”- I am unsure how to take that. I could either make a fool out of you by showing that you are clearly a political extremist yourself for claiming that anyone who is a Conservative is a racist, and most students at this university would view you as a complete and utter idiot for making such allegations.

However I could also take it personally- which I do. For your information I have been working all term in an inner-city Nottingham school, helping students to learn from a wide variety of backgrounds (and countries), many of whom are refugees with very little knowledge of English. I have also been working as a student ambassador to promote going to university to students from both ethnically diverse and underprivileged backgrounds. To suggest I am “racist” is not just downright offensive; it is also plain wrong.

And can I just say- rather than spread your vicious rumours over the internet- why not just drop me an email to ask me to clarify certain aspects of my campaign?

Will

20. Vanessa.B

I completely agree with all of the comments that have highlighted how important is for the UoN to get back up into, at least, the top 15. The other universities I was interested in when I was submitting my UCAS application in ’08 were Loughborough and Warwick. Currently, Warwick is doing amazingly at no.4 and Loughborough is (just managing to stay) in the top 10. We are number 26! When I was applying all 3 were around the same (, in the 8-12 region if I remember rightly).

However, to add some context to the issue, it is interesting to note that we are not the only (previously) prestigious university that is falling behind. While universities such as Sussex, Aston, City, Southampton and Birmingham (that were FAR behind us when I was applying) are now ALL above us, the classic “old boy” unis such as Bristol and Aberdeen are below us!

League tables fluctuate year on year but I have no idea why we have dropped so far in less than 2 years… Maybe it’s the assessment criteria(?)… Maybe not…

21. Vanessa.B

Oh, forgot to mention, those stats came from the Guardian’s 2010 league tables:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/may/12/university-league-table

22. Faruk Patel

This link was sent to me by a friend this morning and so I thought I’d quickly offer my two cents on this…

Firstly, these smear campaigns, aimed at me and Bicky, are childish and almost entirely based on false claims. Neither do I endorse nor celebrate the comments made by “Anonymous” and “Michael Sturgeon” regarding Bicky. These guys obviously have too much time on their hands – I suggest they spend their time on their degrees, if not, then I hope they at least spend it on scrutinising the policies of the candidates rather than attempting to play “character assassination”.

Secondly, I can personally vouch for Will Bickford-Smith. Having known him for over two and a half years and having been in the same hall and on the same degree course, I can honestly say that he is not racist; in fact it’s an honour to be good friends with him (I’m sure this will remain constant regardless of what happens in this campaign).

Thirdly, having said the above, it nevertheless is quite revelatory and in the interests of the students that Will Bickford-Smith has neglected to mention that he was the President of the Conservative Society because, as he says in his own words, it’s not “relevant experience”. One would assume, surely, that having been the President of a society is relevant experience for any position on the SU Exec – especially when you will be representing the interests of all the students at the University of Nottingham. Anyways, that’s a decision made by Will and I have nothing further to add (I’m too busy with my own campaign to be worrying about what the other candidates are doing).

Lastly, all this gossiping and back-biting on the Internet is pointless and futile. What is not pointless and not futile is going to the campuses and talking to the students about the real concerns and issues affecting them, which is exactly what I have been doing so far and will be doing tomorrow…until the end of this campaign…and beyond if elected. Do not expect any further responses from me here. If you want to talk, find me during the campaign. I’ll be out and about, keen to hear whatever – good or bad – you have to say.

23. Steve Williams

whoever these prats are moaning on about craig cox should really just grow up, the guy did nothing wrong apart from get caught up with some idiotic people who managed to get him in a touch of bother. face up and get on with it. this is about tuition fees, not senseless political bashing like sturgeon and his band.

24. Ben Hugh

Well said, Faruk and Steve!

25. Luke

It’s amazing how being a prominent member of a Conservative group has been so readily compared with being “racist” within these comments. What is the purpose of moderating these comments if Impact is going to allow reference to someone as “very notorious and racist”?

26. March 10, 2010 at 14:02 — Reply

Luke, we allow all comments that are not spam on the Impact site. We do not believe it is our place to moderate the views that are expressed by our readers. Occasionally there may be a delay in comments being published if they are accidentally blocked by our spam filter.

27. March 24, 2010 at 15:15 — Reply

Will ‘Bicky’ Bickford Smith has it right. The tutor system at Nottingham was a complete joke when I was there, and the way we are slipping down the tables is truly embarrassing.

28. Rachel

faruk patel is my maths teacher at john henry newman cathlic collage he gives us fox’s mints and cant say beau