Katie MacKay has been elected as the next Welfare and Equal Opportunities Officer, assuming responsibility for the well-being of all students, especially of groups who might otherwise be overlooked.

Katie beat off competition from Luke Place, the only other candidate standing in this particular race. Like many candidates in the elections this year, both Katie and Luke declared the need to involve satellite campuses more in the activities of the main SU. Only Katie could profess to have unique experience of the matter (as she is currently Chair of the Sutton Bonington SU) and this may well have contributed to her victory – upon winning, it became clear that a fair few of that politically active campus had made the trip to University Park!

Her policies that she hopes to now implement include a system of student feedback and more participation and for fair recognition of currently underrepresented students such as medical students and students from satellite campuses. She also hopes to improve the quality of food on campus, a pledge derived from her studies as a Nutrition student.

Speaking to Impact after the result was announced, Katie said “I feel totally overwhelmed. After focusing on wanting the position for two weeks, I can’t believe I’ve won. My main priority is to improve food on campus, and I want to receive constant feedback and interation from the student body on that.”

Katie’s policies are undoubtedly sound and likely to please the student population as a whole. We shall have to wait and see whether her campaign pledges will become reality once she assumes office.

AU Winner Announced...

Teddy Smith Goes Through the Roof

1. Student

I think Katie will make a wonderful EXEC member based on her current success as SB Guild Chair. Well done her.

2. anon

Well done Katie!!! She’ll be a fantastic EXEC member! Congrats!

3. Hmmm...

Finally! Some sense. A great candidate, a lovely person and someone who has the experience to do the job properly!

4. Paul

It’s a bit worrying that the only woman to win a (barely) competitive race has been elected into the welfare role. Looks like the Women’s Officer has a job on her hands!