With only three of these six positions actually facing any competition at all in these elections, one could be forgiven for thinking that they aren’t significant in the Students’ Union political scene. Far from it. Frequently the most vocal in SU Council, these are all people with a passionate desire to represent their particular group, whether it is women or postgraduate students.

The following are the winners of the elections:

Postgraduate Officer – Morgan Stankey

Elected unopposed, Morgan nevertheless has previous involvement in postgraduate representation to bring to the post with her, having been Postgraduate Association Social Secretary over the past year. As for general student representation, she has previous from work at other universities. She has pledged to improve overall communication by publicising welfare campaigns more effectively and promoting cooperation with the graduate school and encouraging feedback on PGSA activity.
“I think the mechanisms are in place for postgrads to be properly represented in the SU and the University; however, I do not think the opportunities available to postgrads to serve in these capacities are always well-publicised”, she has argued.

“It feels really good to win” she admitted immediately afterwards “I’m very glad the vote for RON wasn’t overwhelming”.

International Students Officer – Sascha Fahrbach

Sascha believes his experience living in many different countries and his time teaching in Brazil has left him with the skills necessary to represent the international student community. His policies included broadening cultural events and collaborating with the ISB to help new students adjust to life at University in the United Kingdom.
“I’m happy to win, it was a close call” he said following the announcement “Tonight I plan to get really jolly”

Women’s Officer – Rosie Tressler

Rosie has spent time as social secretary for the Women’s Network and has directed the New Theatre play ‘the Vagina Monologues’ to benefit Rape Crisis Nottingham, so she is well placed to represent women at Nottingham University. Her policies included making women’s events more relevant to the female student population, to create closer ties with local women’s charities and to organise self-defence taster sessions for women.
“I won because I was lucky with my branding” she told Impact “I have nothing but the highest praise for Emily. It was a tough campaign”

Disabled Students Officer – Andrea Blendl

Andrea has run for this position with one fundamental goal – to ensure that Nottingham has a functioning disabled network. With an eclectic mix of background, from being President of the Buddhist society to being welfare officer in the Women’s Network, Andrea has promised to introduce weekly ‘drop-in’ sessions for disabled students to improve communication, and has pledged to hold more inclusive socials and sports events.
“I feel relieved; I’m so happy” she told Impact “I feel like I’m prepared to start the new role today!”.

LGBT Officer – Elizabeth ‘egg’ Goddard

An outspoken individual in SU Council (and in general) to be sure, ‘egg’ certainly has experience of representation from her time as Women’s Officer over the last year. Pledging to raise the profile of LGBT issues, and educate everyone on campus on LGBT issues, she certainly has a task ahead of her. She was also a vocal critic of the fact that, during voting, students were not asked to ‘self-define’ as being LGBT (or, say, BME), before being able to vote – the result being that many more votes were cast for this position than it is believed there are LGBT students on campus.

Black and Minority Ethnic Officer – Michael Etienne

Michael Etienne is adamant that the Black and Minority Ethnic Network needs to fulfil its potential. To this end, he has proposed restoring the importance of the BME Officer by providing visible representation and revitalising Black History Month. His work as a volunteer and for the BME network in the past means he is well placed to affect change in the network.
“I’m relieved to win” he said “I ran last year and lost – I was devastated. I owe my win completely to my campaign team; they were amazing”.

The Lost Voice of the Students?

Just what is 'Social Justice'?

1. Emily Stanley

Go Rosie! 🙂 Woooooooooo! 🙂
    Well done – I’m excited to work with you! 🙂 xxx

2. anon

Congratulations to you all, first of all. It will be interesting to see if you will manage to make the Associations that have so far been sadly unworkable into something good.

This election does however make me wonder about Exec Officer bias. I for one can’t really remember seeing Rosie or her team out on club nights etc without Dan Downes there somewhere, they seemed inseparable. I’d wager it’s been quite a rollercoster week for that guy!

3. Michael Etienne

To be fair to Dan, from what I saw, he was just heavily involved throughout the campaign with a number of candidates and was genuinely concerned for all our welfare, as is his job.

Anyway, that’s not what I wanted to comment on.

There is an exec bias in the election, just not in the way I think you mean. The rep officers aren’t afforded the same coverage as the Exec positions. Obviously, the fact that Exec are paid is a factor in this and to a certain extent it is understandable but the fact that Rep Officers do not get paid does not detract from the incredibly important job they have.

I think a comment made on elections night on URN- albeit somewhat tounge in cheek, that the Rep officer announcements were just a test run for the Exec positions says alot about the mentality towards the positions.

Notwithstanding the fact that I was a winning candidate, I would like to congratulate all the successful Rep Officers on their efforts and hope that over the coming year, together, the networks can grow and get the respect they deserve. Who knows, maybe one day some of the Rep Officer positions will be made Exec.