These are the albums that we recommend from May; as always we have made a Spotify Playlist, and you can go to the artist’s spotify page by clicking on the image art. We are also providing links to Deezer, We7 and Grooveshark which are free alternative music streaming sites, the benefits are you do not need to register or download a program to listen to the music.

Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles II
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles II

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

Crystal Castles improves on their debut in nearly every way embracing continuity and broadening their dynamic range beyond the primitive loops that once constituted the foundations of their songs. The core elements of first single “Celestica”, for example, are pure shoegaze, but the waves of distortion that scrape across its chorus squash any concerns that the duo has gone soft. For a band known for its harsh midrange, this record reveals a surprising amount of depth in headphones. – Pitchfork

Nada Surf - if i had a hi-fi
Nada Surf - if i had a hi-fi

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

As a covers album goes this dispenses prime power pop, fizzing with energy and hope. Their reading of Depeche Mode’s ‘Enjoy The Silence’ encapsulates the album’s approach. They cover it as if it had originally been written by The Cure in one of their pop moments, key and tempo up. It’s almost unrecognisable until the chorus, and it is amazing how well the changes work. All of the songs sound as though they could have been written by the band themselves. It’s a real pleasure to hear ‘Love and Anger’ get the same treatment, Kate Bush getting channelled by yet another alternative rock band. – DrownedinSound

Deftones - Diamond Eyes
Deftones - Diamond Eyes

We7 | Grooveshark

Brandishing high impact, raw-throated drones and a syncopated rap-metal riff, they nail the delectable sonic familiarity with its chorus’. Whilst other songs permeates the imagination with hesitant, palm muted guitar aches and a seductive wander through seemingly infinite vocal reverberation. Weaving through hip-hop back-beats, simple yet evocative lead lines and that plume of phoenix flame that marks the onset of each song’s plateau. – DrownedinSound

Wooden Shjips - Vol. 2
Wooden Shjips - Vol. 2

We7 | Grooveshark

Building a reputation as one of the finest purveyors of errant psychedelia since kindred spirits Spacemen 3 and Loop. Having created some of the most incessant, locked groove-based sounds this past decade, Vol 2 follows on from Vol 1 by emphasising the band’s psyche, even at its earliest stage of development, both indigenous slabs of Hawkwind-inspired, new wave scented space odysseys. The create a clear picture, its circular patterns and monolithic grooves emulating the sprawling textures carved out by Robert Hampson and co. – DrownedinSound

The Juan MacLean - DJ-Kicks
The Juan MacLean - DJ-Kicks

We7 | Grooveshark

MacLean’s installation into the long-running DJ-Kicks series is all the proof you really need of his breadth of knowledge and ability to craft a good set- all-vinyl, one take, no computers. Constantly shifting grooves without losing the fundamental euphoria of the original tracks’ momentum isn’t something that comes easy to bandwagoneers. And MacLean goes past tastemaker collection-flaunting into something deeper, a mix that sounds like its heart’s been beating for 20 years. – Pitchfork

The National - High Violet
The National - High Violet

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

High Violet is a dark affair, even for a band with a reputation for sad-bastard melodrama. There are few bands that could craft a song like “Sorrow” in which emotion acts as a character and the band turns Berninger’s balladry into a well paced jog. They are bigger and more engaging, powerful and poetic. Its the sound of a band taking a mandate to be a meaningful rock band seriously, conveyer through they’re anxious, personal songs projected onto wide screens, its grand, confusing, and relatable. – Pitchfork

Dosh - Tommy
Dosh - Tommy

Grooveshark

Dosh has taken so many different fragments of musical culture, there are parts that are reminiscent of Max Tundra’s instrumental passages, Broken Social Scene’s more relaxed spaces, and Zero 7-esque’s chilled beats. The lyrics compositions are diverting, distracting, with heavily distorted vocal samples, that are carefully scored. It entraps you, and you’ll still be discovering hidden corners as it dissolved into static. – DrownedinSound

Zola Jesus - Stridulum EP
Zola Jesus - Stridulum EP

Grooveshark

Trained as an opera singer, she mixes the go-for-it bluster of Lydia Lunch with the ethereality of Kate Bush, while matching the sheer force of opera and providing a female answer to the cerebrally fraught quaver of Ian Curtis. 80s vintage synth washes with mixes of industrial and mechanical means lends the material another layer of magnificence. – Prefix

The Mynabirds - What We Lose in the Fire We Gain in the Flood

We7 | Grooveshark

Laura Burhenn, is a singer and songwriter with this full-blown country and soul debut since being part of the indie duo Georgie James. The songs are fully formed, bold, assured and elegantly composed. She sings with soul and conviction, but also taste and restraint, It is tight and consistent; the mood is evocative but doesn’t outlast its welcome before completing the emotional arc. – Pitchfork

Ganglians - Monster Head Room
Ganglians - Monster Head Room

Grooveshark

Their brand of psychedelia is the latest offering from Woodsist, a Brooklyn label putting out records by what could be considered lo-fi’s new guard. Sounds ranging from surf rock slicing through filthy water, to stupidly beautiful, fold in with meatier, more groove-oriented tracks. Their psych folk is a bike ride, slathered in cake and mud punctuated by their wonderfully damaged vocal harmonies. – Pitchfork

Phosphorescent - Heres to Taking It Easy
Phosphorescent - Here's to Taking It Easy

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

Inhabiting the tropes of beer-soaked, sun-baked country-rock with fullness, commitment, and chops, all while finding enough room for their trademark ragged lonesomeness. With hot guitar licks and blaring horn charts, the album’s lyrics chiefly concerns with the strain placed on relationships by life on the road, inextricably fused with his own weird, shambling soul. – Pitchfork

Sparrow and the Workshop - Crystals Fall

Grooveshark

Imagine a beautiful, passionate collaboration between the Handsome Family and Lift To Experience. Imagine the doleful yet humorous beauty in death outlook of the former rubbing up against the breathtaking post rock country crescendos of the latter. Conjure, if you will, the gorgeous boy-girl harmonies of the Family wrapping their honey dripping syllables around the balls out, ragged Texan string wrangling of the Experience. All condensed into three minute dark country revenge vignettes. – DrownedinSound

She & Him - Volume Two
She & Him - Volume Two

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

She & Him – M Ward and Zooey Deschanel – are a breed apart again, and sufficient to count themselves as a bona fide folk supergroup. A ’50s sounding ballad tightly packed with sufficient songwriting authenticity to get the most sceptical of toes tapping, that exhibits all the warm vibes required of a summer smash hit. Deschanel’s voice is, if not technically amazing, entirely enchanting, setting the tone for the remainder of a beguiling long player. – MusicOMH

Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record

We7 | Grooveshark

Never before have we heard Broken Social Scene sound so joyous, so excited, or as in love with music as they are here. Cellos mix with drum beats on the fade out, while ambient effects float in and out. The frenzied, paranoid pulse of “Chase Scene” tosses wah-guitar licks right out of a Tarantino film with ‘80s synth patterns and a full-blown string section, with each chorus slowly building the tension until it almost becomes unbearable. – Popmatters

LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

Murphy once again shows off his encyclopedic knowledge of all things post-punk and zip-tight. He’s flipped the system and become the embodiment of coolness. His early singles and first album were him joking to himself, Sound of Silver was a collective rush of us vs. them, and now it’s about him and her. This fearlessness burrows its way into the rest of the album, making it more of a self-help guide to relationship hangovers than a woe-is-me fest – Pitchfork

Band of Horses - Infinite Arms
Band of Horses - Infinite Arms

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

Recorded around the time of the arrival of Ben Bridwell’s daughter, the band’s singer and songwriter manages to sound like a new father, the extra weight of responsibility and the feeling that he would rather just be a father and not a singer in a rock band manifests itself via bouts of lyrical anxiety. The title also illustrates the band’s seemingly effortless ability to transpose tenderness in life to tenderness in music. – DrownedinSound

Woods - At Echo Lake
Woods - At Echo Lake

Grooveshark

Woods pursue a straightforward emotional honesty and sincerity, everything is laid naked, as bare-bones as their recording approach, a lo-fi aesthetic that’s justified. Parts of At Echo Lake follows more of that spooky campfire folk, whislst other aspects are bluesy, before turning into a gentle country ballad. The album also shows off some of the most gorgeous harmonies since Fleet Foxes. – Popmatters

Holy Fuck - Latin
Holy Fuck - Latin

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

It’s huge, illuminating the murk around it with a celestial grace reminiscent of both Fuck Buttons at their most epic but also something bigger than that. It evokes pretty electronic chimes that teeter and topple and smack into each other like some tremulous clockwork heart, it seems impossibly tenuous and fragile, whipping its nervous tic of a core into a blaze of divine light. With a frankly terrifying female voice, a bass that drills through the belly, the strangled vocal haze that is almost Deerhunter-like fashion, it rages into the night and bleeds away into nothing. – DrownedinSound

The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards
The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards

We7 | Grooveshark

Splitting time between inferno-grade blues-rock and grooves so swampy they practically emit wavy stink lines. Guitars go terse, then molten, while Fertita bends space with his tough, spacey organ vamps; White sings lead vocals on “Blue Blood Blues,” a Zeppelin stomper decorated with tart vocal “oohs,” but Mosshart is the main draw, shape-shifting through punk tantrums, choked blues, and stage-caliber bits of dramatic sing-speak. Every track offers a new vibe—slow-burning funk on “I Can’t Hear You,” chicken-fried psychedelia on “I’m Mad”—but the taut, razored arrangements never relent in delivering high-impact drama. – Paste

Motor City Drum Ensemble - Raw Cuts, Vol. 1

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

It sounds so refreshing: It is straightforward, effusive dance music spun from the most basic of elements, and done very, very well mixing house music, soul-pop vocals, R&B keyboards and disco rhythms. It overflows with warm electric keys and cracking rhythms. Tension is massed then resolved with big, descending chords and wily guitar. Looped vocals roam in and out of the mix like shouts from the other side of the floor. – Pitchfork

Infesticons - Bedford Park
Infesticons - Bedford Park

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

Released on a number of limited edition vinyls, and available to download, this is the third and final part of Mike Ladd’s epic Infesticons concept trilogy. With a wide array of guests as previous albums, this is a good deal of the fun on the album, the huge force of his personality drives the scuzzy blues and rough, rough beats through a mixture of singing, rapping, straight-up bawling, sometimes switching between the three on the same track – DrownedinSound

Rolo Tomassi - Cosmology
Rolo Tomassi - Cosmology

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

They have always been about technique and brutality. Their songs are stream of conscious snippets bound by flurries of notes, locked grooves and furiously hammered keyboards. Vocally, there’s rarely been much deviation from the bezerker roar of Eva Spence, or James Spence’s growl. With the Diplo-produced Cosmology Rolo Tomassi are moving on from outright bluster to some degree, with woozy keyboard, the sound of a band embarkeding upon a synth-based exploration of an outer space – MusicOMH

Sleigh Bells - Treats
Sleigh Bells - Treats

We7 | Grooveshark

The onslaught of noise pretty much begins from the very first instant. You’ll probably be too shellshocked by the anxiety-inducing and heart-palpitating thrills of the leadoff track, hyperactive drum machine rhythms and frenetic synths push their way to the front of the dense, crowded mix, disorienting anyone who expects a sense of space and depth. They have created a musical experience all their own, its bold and inventiveness, the air of invincibility that comes through in the duo’s bruising, high-impact sound, which elicits a visceral reaction that gets you to really feel its excesses and indulge in them. Its not wonder they are the blogosphere’s flavor-of-the-month. – Popmatters

Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster - Blood & Fire

We7 | Grooveshark

This finds the band sounding longer in the tooth than we ever imagined plausible or desirable. The cheesy mirthmobile has apparently roared off to that great scrapyard in the sky, and McKnight – although still disturbingly reminiscent in the live arena of a velociraptor who’s swallowed a beehive – no longer bothers with his (once standard) mid-set regurgitation sessions. It’s the most effortlessly stirring lead-in since well, probably since Jónsi’s ‘Go Do’ a couple of months back, but hey – it freakin’ rules, whatever. – DrownedinSound

The Acorn - No Ghost
The Acorn - No Ghost

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

This belongs to a breed of post-Grizzly Bear/Fleet Foxes thoughtfully tempered harmony-gifted indie-folk, however, Acorn’s 2007 concept-album Glory Hope Mountain precedes labelmates Fleet Foxes’ debut by a year, but it doesn’t do any harm to suggest that fans of the latter band will appreciate the gorgeous wavering harmonies of folk-rock opener. He is vocally more pertinently in the back-stories of each albums’ creation/recording and the way the location seeps into the character of the songs is delicate and painstaking, with the construction a greater sense of escape, like the reigns have been let loose. – DrownedinSound

Washed Out - Life Of Leisure
Washed Out - Life Of Leisure

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

The solo project of multi-instrumentalist Ernest Greene, fits in almost too well with the balmy lo-fi synth atmospherics of peers like Neon Indian and Toro Y Moi. Focusing on romantic nostalgia and homespun textures, Life of Leisure does with 80s soft rock and synth-pop what Glass Candy and Chromatics did with Italo disco a couple of years ago, only Washed Out evokes summer afternoons indoors rather than the Italians Do It Better crew’s early-a.m. urban stalking. – Pitchfork

The Fall - Your Future Our Clutter
The Fall - Your Future Our Clutter

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

Call it a comeback two decades in the making, its ambitious scale and ramshackle experimentation, the new album could easily belong in the Fall’s early 1980s run of masterpieces. The post-punk icon’s misanthropic aesthetic and burnt-out swagger are definitely back in full effect, this latest offering possesses a sense of coherence and all-engrossing appeal that makes good on the renewed promise. – Popmatters

James Blake - CMYK
James Blake - CMYK

We7 | Grooveshark

His style is already recognizable: progressions of thick soul and jazz chords, pitched-down and mangled vocals, and mid-tempo beats that balance synthesized sub-bass with handclaps, snaps, and other humanizing soundlets. At only 21 he has built this album from samples primarily from 90s R&B. Sometimes, they’re incredibly obvious, other times, he crushes them beyond recognition. But what makes the tracks isn’t its samples, its the way Blake integrates them. – Pitchfork

The Black Keys - Brothers
The Black Keys - Brothers

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

An album that works as both a blisteringly smart genre study that combines classic and contemporary perspectives on blues, soul, and R&B and as just one hell of a rock record, Brothers reaffirms that the Black Keys belong in any serious conversation about America’s finest bands – Slant

Josh Ritter - So Runs The World Away
Josh Ritter - So Runs The World Away

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

He hits a beautiful stride, a soulful combination of conversational folk ballads and powerful gut punches. He will always draw comparisons to legends like Bob Dylan and contemporaries like Ryan Adams, he also sounds very much like himself and never sways from his unmistakable cadence. – Paste

Mike Patton - Mondo Cane
Mike Patton - Mondo Cane

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

Mike Patton’s latest project, Mondo Cane (pronounced “mon-doe ka-nay”), is a strange breed. The vocal manipulator’s past projects ranged from brutally spastic noise to transcendent minimalism. This is a covers album of Italian songs from the ’50s and ’60s is difficult to anticipate, because it is so easy to listen to. He uses a 40-piece orchestra, augmented by a 15-piece band, he lets his muscular voice glide naturally through each number where it is clearly the centerpiece of the album. – Prefix

The Hold Steady - Heaven Is Whenever
The Hold Steady - Heaven Is Whenever

Deezer | We7 | Grooveshark

Lyrical content here is par for the course for the Hold Steady, hyper-wordy and smart narratives of drugs, drinking, and salvation. There is a constant and weary narrative voice sharing sage observations and advice. The stories are still painful and the riffs still bruising. But contrary to the band’s neo-Bukowski reputation for bloozy bar-cum-arena rawk, Heaven Is Whenever demonstrates a more deliberate approach by constantly looking back without anger. – Prefix

Early indication poll shows Conservative support in Nottingham

The Real Inspector Hound @ The New Theatre