Only a pocket of Labour seats remains in Nottingham following a Conservative gain of 92 seats in England in Thursday’s General Election – a local result predicted by a poll conducted by the Nottingham Evening Post in conjunction with Impact in the weekend preceding the vote. While the Tories saw some sizeable swings in constituencies like Nottingham North and South, they couldn’t break into the city centre with the Labour Party holding onto four local seats while the Conservatives held two and gained two.

Broxtowe and Sherwood were the Conservative gains, and both saw fiercely contested electoral battles. Tory candidate Mark Spencer won in Sherwood by just 214 votes over Emilie Oldknow – a victory which needed to be confirmed by a recount. In what seemed to be a common theme nationally, Oldknow – despite being from the incumbent party – struggled as a new candidate, following previous Labour MP Paddy Tipping’s decision to stand down at this election. The swing from Labour to the Conservatives was 8.2% – higher than the overall East Midland swing of 6.7%.

Broxtowe’s incumbent Labour MP Nick Palmer – who had been in the seat since the 1997 landslide – was unseated by Anna Soubry as the vote swung by only 2.6% towards the Tories. Following two recounts, Soubury’s majority was given as 389. Students on Broadgate Park have, however, complained of being denied the ability to vote on polling day. A petition has been started by members of the off-campus accommodation alleging that “what we believe was an admin/communication error left almost 2,000 students off of the electoral registers in Broxtowe and Nottingham South”. Broadgate JCR Vice President Daniel Cooper said “I don’t have any faith in the accuracy of the Broxtowe result.”

Speaking following her victory, Soubry stated: “Broxtowe has a tradition of returning MPs who work hard for their constituents, and work hard to everyone in their constituency. You can be assured that as your member of Parliament, I will continue in that tradition.”

Palmer conceded defeat graciously, but said “I look forward to the rematch.”

Nottingham North and South saw above national average swings to the Tories, with North swinging by 8.7% and South swinging by 7.4%. Veteran Labour MP Alan Simpson was replaced by Lilian Greenwood in Nottingham South, notable as the constituency which includes University Park, Jubilee, NTU’s Clifton Campus and a large amount of student housing. While the most marginal of the three constituencies in the city centre, Greenwood was returned with a comfortable 1,772 majority. Labour MP Graham Allen was even more comfortable, winning Nottingham North by 8,138 votes.

Venerable Tory and Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills (Lord Mandelson’s equivalent on the Conservative front bench) Kenneth Clarke held Rushcliffe as expected. A traditional safe seat for the party, Clarke increased his vote share by 3% to 51.2%. Patrick Mercer firmly consolidated his position in Newark with a Conservative majority of 16,512, although Labour MPs Christopher Leslie and Vernon Coaker have held onto their seats in Nottingham East and Gedling respectively, securing Nottingham City against Tory incursion.

While the student vote had been expected to assist in predicted significant gains for the Liberal Democrat Party (which lost five seats nationally despite reaching record high poll levels in the weeks preceding the election), this did not manifest itself in Nottingham as predicted by the Evening Post/Impact poll. In Nottingham South the Liberal Democrat vote went down, while it saw only a slight increase in Broxtowe. Following national disappointment, and with his party losing its only seat in the East Midlands, Nick Clegg must be content with a kingmaking role in Westminster for this Parliament.

The local results were as follows:

Broxtowe: Con Gain
Gedling: Lab Hold
Newark: Con Hold
Nottingham East: Lab Hold
Nottingham North: Lab Hold
Nottingham South: Lab Hold
Rushcliffe: Con Hold
Sherwood: Con Gain

Dave Jackson

The Real Inspector Hound @ The New Theatre

Mackay Secures Equal Opps and Welfare

1. Alison
    May 10, 2010 at 10:54 — Reply

Leaving aside the blatant anti-Conservative bias in this article, I don’t think Broadgate would have swung it, even if the council hadn’t messed up the registration. Why? Three reasons:
    – Most of Broadgate Park is in Nottingham South
    – A large proportion of the “2000” students in BGP are ineligible to vote anyway.
    – The majority of Nottingham students vote postally or by proxy in their home constituencies (if they vote at all).

What people should be worried about is the rumours of polling cards being stolen from halls and blocks of flats and used to commit electoral fraud!

2. May 10, 2010 at 11:16 — Reply

Trust me, the author is not someone who has an anti-Conservative agenda!

3. Luke Place
    May 10, 2010 at 23:13 — Reply

@ Alison

When you say “most of Broadgate Park” do you mean numerically or geographically?

Do you have evidence for that claim? Or for any of your other claims for that matter?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of people at Broadgate were registered to vote and voted locally.

4. May 13, 2010 at 12:53 — Reply

The fact that students have been unable to vote in a national election surely deserves a better response than partisan comments such as ‘Leaving aside the blatant anti-Conservative bias in this article’.

I have no idea whether Broadgate would have actually impacted on the result. What I do know is that the count is not a true reflection how people feel given the numbers who were unable to vote. The suggestion that Broadgate would not have altered the outcome surely ignores Albion House a hall owned by UPP but considered part of Broadgate.

But, as for preventing this happening again. The big cock up was that when applying to Broadgate it is merely optional to give your nationality – the thing the Electoral Commission need in order to automatically register people. We are going to get this changed and that will go a long way to preventing this happening again.The fact that we straddle two constituencies merely complicated matters and admittedly could have been better communicated.

5. John H
    May 16, 2010 at 06:45 — Reply

Patrick Mercer refused to join the Save Newark Hospital campaign and also declined to hold the hands of his constituents encompassing the outside of Newark hospital in a demonstration of support to protect the hospital and yet in spite of bad publicity in which Dr Campbell accused Mercer of threatening, intimidation and browbeating people into keeping their mouth shut and missing election leaflets Mr Mercer miraculously obtained a staggering majority.

How could this possibly be?

6. John H
    May 16, 2010 at 10:53 — Reply

What does that say about the people of Newark that give Mercer a staggering majority of 16,512?

To my mind they and Mr Mercer are “The Unspeakable” void of morality and humanity.

http://foxinparliament.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/making-a-stand-against-cruelty/