(Although, those two statements are, arguably, mutually exclusive)

Whilst it’s not strictly film as yet, since it hit our television screens in May of 2009, Glee has taken the world by storm, and there can be no uncertainty that sometime in the near future, Glee will hit the silver screen and demand an impressive cut of the year’s cinema takings. With its light-hearted image, not entirely humourless script and myriad of musical numbers, it has mass appeal. But it is with great reluctance – and probably much to my chagrin – that I must admit, after months of deliberation and despair, I hate Glee.

It had occurred to me upon this realization that I would be seriously outnumbered, so before I begin a tirade of unadulterated ‘Glee-bashing’ please note that I am by no means condemning those of you who consider yourself to be ‘Gleeks’. It goes without saying, that this is entirely a matter of preference and opinion, but I completely understand if you wish to hold this against me.

The main issue I have with Glee is that it is a formula that completely lacks originality; almost every aspect of it seems derivative of something else. On the surface, it is a sitcom set in an American high school, detailing the day-to-day lives of the various students, teachers and parents within their social circles (each labelled by some form of stereotype). This isn’t an original premise, over the last 30 years, there have been countless examples of films and TV shows doing this very same thing.

In recent memory, though, Glee owes everything to the unstoppable marketing juggernaut that is Disney’s High School Musical. Grossing a total of $253m worldwide, the series is hard to ignore. It took the above premise and combined it with Disney’s familiar musical stylings, thus paving the way for Glee to do something similar. However, instead of using songs composed specifically for the show, the cast of Glee subjects us to weekly renditions* of some of the most famous and celebrated songs to have ever been released. Furthermore, the creators have the audacity to release these cover versions commercially as singles. In particular, Journey’s ‘Don’t Stop Believin’, which has managed to maintain enduring popularity 28 years after its release – is a song that evidently did not require a cover version to boost its success.

That’s not to say that the cast does not boast some talented vocalists. Matthew Morrison, Lea Michele, Chris Colfer are all decent singers in their own right, but the show has already been heavily criticised for its “overproduced” soundtrack, and its heavy reliance on ‘Auto-Tune’.

Perhaps, for me at least, Glee’s greatest transgression is that of the character Sue Sylvester. Admirably played by Jane Lynch, Sue is the ruthless coach of the Cheerleading team who will stop at nothing to destroy the Glee club. In every episode, Sue will make some scathing remark or rant at Will Schuester, the show’s protagonist, and will generally make efforts to lower the morale of the members of the Glee club. Sue is a great antagonist, but I cannot help but think she is merely a re-hashing of the more evil parts of Scrubs superb Dr. Cox, just in a different environment.

But that is exactly what Glee is – a re-hash. In its premise, characterisation and execution, Glee is superficial and uninspired. I can only hope it doesn’t make it past season two and god forbid, to the big screen.

*Please feel free to substitute this with ‘butcherings’.

Josh Franks

Impact recommends… Yeasayer

Toy Story

1. Frank
    July 7, 2010 at 01:11 — Reply

Sometimes things are just fun. Not much on tv is original. It is taking something unoriginal and putting spin on it. Sure HSM had music ins high school, but not the snark.

And many a gleek wish they didn’t auto tune as much. They know and have seen that lea Michele doesn’t need it.

While it may not be a total original it is different and enough and fun enough just to have an escape for a hour a week.

The part I don’t understand is why you wish it to end if it make other happy, why would you want that to stop.

2. Yvonne
    July 7, 2010 at 02:43 — Reply

Thank goodness. I thoug ht I was the only person who fails to see the hype about this show. It is indeed a rehash of far better, or sometimes far worse concepts, that ends up in a circle jerk for the sake of it’s own attempt at cleverness. It seems like it’s written, directed, and played out for people who want to say they are too cool to like something like HSM but secretly enjoy that. In essence it is the HSM for people who want to stay guilt free about liking something like HSM. The geek “cred” gives them safety to say “hey I like Glee”, however vapid, saccharin, and derivative it is. If I wanted poor singers I could watch HSM and if I wanted good vocal singers I would listen to broadway. Not bad rehashes of both.

3. Joan
    July 7, 2010 at 14:34 — Reply

Yvonne:
    You do realize the two leads of Glee are Broadway performers right? Plus many guest have been Broadway performers.

They are are good singers .

While of course you don’t have to like it, but why do you have to go off on it, just because it isn’t your cup of tea doesn’t mean it isn’t enjoyable or even good.

And what is wrong with a little cheesy goodness once in awhile, don’t be so pretentious.

4. rob
    July 9, 2010 at 13:51 — Reply

The pace of the show is terrible, it is a badly written show amongst other things.