If I had a pound for every time someone has called me superficial for being interested in fashion…well, let’s just say I’d be able to afford shoes that would turn even the Carrie Bradshaw’s of the world green with envy.

It is true that the world of fashion can be a judgmental place, one second you’re in, the next you’re out. This perception is in no way aided by the fact that many weekly ‘fashion’ magazines now contain more celebrity slander than clothing articles, and seem more concerned with which superstars are putting on weight than which designers are taking the fashion world by storm.

I agree, ‘fashion’ CAN be superficial, but it can also be so much more than that…

Fashion can be an art form. Couture shows are dynamic and exciting, an expression of a particular designer’s thoughts and emotions, political standpoints or simply designed to entertain – in the same way that actors and musicians aim to captivate and inspire an audience, these designers seek to do the same.

Fashion can be personal. Throughout the ages individuals have used what they wear as a method of personal expression – whether on an individual level, for example a widow choosing to wear black as a sign of respect, or as a group, for example a sports team or social group who use clothing to signal a united front and promote a sense of belonging.

Fashion can create change. Whether for good reasons or bad, over the years the media have become increasingly concerned with what people are wearing. The individuals who attract publicity can use this as a method of promoting a cause they believe in. Would the US elections have been bought to the attention of every teenager in the country if superstars like Jay Z had not donned Barack’s face over t-shirts, hats etc…

And lastly, yes, fashion can be fun…because not everything in life has to be serious.

Elizabeth Neep

Orphans @ The New Theatre

The Social Network - Review

1. Allie Pinder

LOVE IT!

2. Becky Hill

Well done Miss Neep, keep it up! 🙂
    xxx