It may be the start to a busy term, but make sure you get a chance to visit the Lakeside Arts Centre over the next couple of hectic weeks: there is a whole range of diverse exhibitions and events on show, with a bit of something for everyone. Located next to the lake and South Entrance on University Park, the centre is right on the doorstep of halls and lecture theatres. Not only is Lakeside conveniently positioned, but with lots of free admissions, prices are considerate towards student bank balances!

Right from the start of term, there will be a number of interesting exhibitions set to hit University Park. The Djanogly Art Gallery is a place where both modern and traditional art can feel at home, with high ceilings and a fresh feel. Situated in our very own Art History Department, it is a great space to discover a wide spectrum of art, including the current spiritual exhibition, ‘Dust on the Mirror’, which brings together artists from both western and eastern cultures and focuses on Eastern philosophy and aesthetics. It is easy to visit the gallery and become wrapped up with the display, and it is definitely my favourite spot on the whole campus. It is not, however, the only exhibition maintained; there is also the Weston Gallery and the Wallner Gallery which both continue the exciting vibe of Lakeside.

The Djanogly Theatre also offers one of the best acoustic spaces in the country. The wooden interior carries and amplifies the huge variety of instruments and vocals performed. Whether you are into Folk, Pop, World, Jazz, Contemporary or Chamber music, there is bound to be something you can get involved in. An excellent example is ‘The Magnets’, who are an awesome beatboxing group performing at the end of September. They recently featured on The Scott Mills Show on Radio One and last year they played at Glastonbury and the Isle of Wight Festival. A couple of days later, also in the Djanogly Theatre, is Jarred Christmas Stand Up, one of New Zealand’s funniest comedians, with sell out shows across the country. There is also the opportunity to get involved in or listen to the University of Nottingham’s own Wind Orchestra and Brass Ensemble, with concerts across campus and in the Djanogly Recital Hall.

So no matter what you are into, how much free time you have or how far your student budget can stretch, the Lakeside Arts Centre accommodates for everything, and ensures to be a unique experience. Don’t miss on all that this University has to offer!

Dani Hill

It's Not Easy Being Easy Tiger - Welcome to the Jungle!

The Retreat