First the Ark, then the Venue and finally The Den – Nottingham University’s official nightclub has been re-named and refurbished many times over the past few years. However last term it was finally closed after dismal financial returns, signalling the need for change yet again.

One of a raft of changes taking place in the Portland building this summer, the Den is to be reassigned as “a more versatile space… which all student groups can access”. As SU Exec Finance Officer Oli Margolis explains, “We recognise that we still have an exceptionally strong events programme with leading clubs in the city. We think it’s these larger venues that really meet the needs of the majority of students. As a result of this culture, there hasn’t really been the demand for similar, regular, additional nights in a smaller venue. The lack of demand suppressed the opportunity to provide one stream of music to provide to a particular crowd”.

So what now for the Den? “Our plans for the future are to promote the space to student groups to tailor it for their needs. We are looking to publicise its availability with an emphasis on student run events”.

Aside from this, many important changes have taken place in Portland. Many services have been brought together in an effort to “give a clearer identity for the Students’ Union within focused areas”.

These include Student Activities and the Student Volunteer Centre being moved next to each other, while useful services such as the Print Shop and the Treasury have been made more accessible. The East Concourse Lounge (just opposite Impact’s new office! – ed) is now a ‘chillout area’ for students, while the Exec and Rep Officers are moving into new offices on the C floor. In addition to the office moves for Impact, NUTS and TEC, Summer Party and Week One are also seeing their offices revamped. Student Advice and Representation will also move, taking up residence next to Student Services. A fully furnished dance studio has been also been created in the former home of the Print Shop.

Ben McCabe and Anne Moore

Wave Your Rave - The Lonely Commute

Diary of a Lenton Ladette