A fire that broke out close to Rock City and the Rescue Rooms last night forced approximately 1,400 people to evacuate the club, with hundreds of students among them. The fire, which originated in a nearby disused building, prompted fire crews to storm the premises shortly after 1am and evacuate a mountain of clubbers out onto the streets.

Fortunately, there have been no reports of injuries caused by the fire – Inspector Ian Cresswell claims that the evacuation procedure was simply a “precautionary measure for the personal safety” of those in surrounding area, including residents in nearby student accommodation.

Police Tape

Felicity Brown, University of Nottingham student, offered a first-hand account of the shock events. “Me and my friends thought we smelt smoke in Cr-isis”, she claims, “but didn’t think much of it. It was so surreal standing outside, with floods of drunken students from Rock City, Rescue Rooms and Stealth. We were lucky enough to bag a taxi but a couple of our friends had to walk all the way back to Sherwood Hall!”

Most students had no idea of what was going on until the evacuation took place. “At first no one knew anything was wrong until the DJ stopped the music and said ‘that’s smoke’s not from us, everyone needs to leave now'” Aidan Wedgwood, a second year Chemistry student, told Impact “We all went outside and saw loads of smoke billowing towards us from down the street.  Then we realised that we weren’t getting back inside”

Dislocation of transport carried on throughout the morning; Nottinghamshire Police claim that the blaze has caused “significant disruption” to the city’s tram network. The cordoning off of Goldsmith Street and Talbot Street also caused major problems for this morning’s rush-hour traffic, frustrating and inconveniencing many motorists and pedestrians.

Nottinghamshire Police, however, thanked the public “for their patience and cooperation”. The fire has now been contained and Cr-isis have announced on their website that items left in the cloakroom at Rock City due to the evacuation can now be collected.

Natasha Smith

<em>Impact</em> interviews Jeff Randall

<em>Impact</em> Interviews The Wombats

1. Tosh Lyons

“Official Cr-Isis statement to follow shortly”? Who cares what Cr-Isis think about this? Everybody was led to safety really quickly (no thanks to Cr-Isis reps who were all smashed as usual) & it’s transpired that the fire originated in a privately owned, disused building anyway (probably started deliberately). Cr-Isis should keep their mouths shut for once & just be thankful that nobody was hurt… YOU’RE NOT IMPORTANT & NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU THINK!!

2. A-game

Someone’s bitter…

3. Stephen

Interesting how this has happened so close to the re-launch of Isis/Mirage.

Conspiracy?

4. Danny Gunn
    December 28, 2010 at 16:59 — Reply

Mirage? Ha.