With supernatural drama flooding TV nowadays it is nice to see a new, grittier drama free from vampires and ghosts. The Walking Dead is about life in a post-zombie apocalypse and our hero is a local sheriff Rick Grimes, played by a superb Andrew Lincoln (Teachers, Love Actually). The pilot episode sees Rick wake-up from a coma, after being wounded in a shoot-out, in a world where zombies are abound and infecting everyone. Confused and utterly alone, Rick returns home to find that his wife and son have fled, and now braves the soulless new world in order to find them.

Directed and partly written by Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile) this new drama has pace, plot and action. Darabont attempts to portray life as it actually would be if there were to be a zombie epidemic (similar to True Blood’s portrayal of life with vampires). As such he has stripped away all forms of glossiness and fantasy, which swamps the many other spectral dramas and has thus kept The Walking Dead as raw and real as possible. The episode’s final scene of Rick hiding in the army tank, whilst ravenous zombies surround him, makes for both compelling and haunting drama. Andrew Lincoln is a brilliant sheriff, convincingly portraying the terror and surrealism at finding himself in an alien world.

The Walking Dead, ironically, seems to have breathed new life into an oversaturated genre that was starting to lose its fear factor.

Archana Mani

Live Review: Ludovico Einaudi at Nottingham Theatre Royal - 14/11/10

A Blagger’s Guide to…Modern Theatre

1. Some lame guy

Raw? Realsitics? Not really, the thing has many scences that seem to leave me wondering how a zombie outbreak got so far, or why certain people have not died sooner.

2. Josh Franks

There’s always some lame guy waiting to discredit what is arguably one of the best new dramas on TV. Darabont is showing his prowess as a master of pace, dialogue and character development within a contemporary context (zombies are everywhere now). Nice review Archie, you reminded me just how great the pilot episode is!

3. David Mizen

i am a massive horror/zombie fan and i think its great to finally have a realistic zombie series out there.
    i’ve been watching the series as it airs in the US and i can only say it gets better
    unfortuantly with only a 6 episode series it ends next week.
    i hope they can carry on the tension on through the second series due in june time

4. Jonny Neeves
    January 28, 2011 at 02:16 — Reply

Having read The Walking Dead hardcover books front to back, I entirely agree on your point regarding Andrew Lincoln. Rick Grimes as a character demonstrates all the examples of a man under pressure, eventually succumbing to severe mental stress, but he always maintains the leadership skills dearly sought after in his situation. Lincoln brings a rawness to the character, something I approve of, whilst maintaining the traits found in the comics. It’s interesting that Darabont immediately introduces a new character in Morgan and son, but it works in helping us become immersed in a situation we could never begin to comprehend or fathom. Darabont uses Morgan and Rick to contrast emotional impact superbly. Whereas Morgan cannot come to terms with the gradual change of his wife to zombie, Rick realises he must come to terms with the situation in order to progress through a depressingly surreal situation. Great little review of a television horror drama that, albeit influenced heavily by the comic books, tries to redefine a genre in desperate need of an upheaval.