Gone are the days of comparing garish Baby Gs in the school playground. They were versatile – rubber comes in many colours, don’t you know (I personally sported the pale pink variety in 1999), but they weren’t particularly stylish. The discerning amongst you will have noticed the glorious uprising of the retro ‘Dad Watch’.

Clue is in the title here – don’t go parting with your pennies before raiding your dad’s accessories drawer. I bounced in showing off my shiny new (old) gold Casio, only for my dad to smugly produce an identical watch from his bedside drawer that I ‘could have had, should have asked’.  This Autumn/Winter boys AND girls take note – it’s time to grow up in the watch department.

This doesn’t mean breaking out the monocle and pocket-watch (although this could be a good look?) – it means appearing to have purchased a time-piece from Del Boy’s suitcase and added a pinch of ‘nerd’. In fact, geek-chic is rearing it’s head once again in this trend, with calculator watches leading the way in the style stakes even if you can’t remember the last time you used one.  Casio’s designs for men even feature an ingenious method of strap adjustment that doesn’t involve removing any links, meaning that masculine styling can come easily to the small-wristed female.

For authentic ‘Dad’ style points I suggest raiding the family heirlooms or charity shops. However, here’s a little taster of some of the best retro copies available on the high street and internet:

Timex 80 Gold & Black Disco Watch

tinyurl.com/324zpju

Casio Retro Style Dial & Digital Metal Bracelet

tinyurl.com/2u8sl75

Identity Retro Gents Calculator Watch

tinyurl.com/32y2e78

Jasmin Watts

Dumbfoundead: The Next Big Thing?

Win Two Tickets to see Booka Shade at The Warehouse Project on 12/11/10!

1. Sylvester Stallone

What a fascinaating read, I’ll be sure to make sure all the girls in Die Hard 5 – Period Pains at Nakotomi Plaza are all wearing such watches. Its a fabulous picture, and the links posted at the end are great because they are tinyurls. Surely someone else must have helped do this, as one Style Editor could never have so much substance….

2. November 4, 2010 at 12:30 — Reply

i want one of those!! nostalgia is taken me over.

3. November 4, 2010 at 14:39 — Reply

Yes good man!

ASOS is really good actually, they have a silver digital Casio I’m tempted by. Word to the wise, check Argos first as they have a few of the same watches … a lot cheaper….

x