This year it has been decided by the Nottingham University Trustee Board that the Student Summer Party will no longer be a Student Run Service (SRS). This decision was made in the aftermath of the £70,000 loss incurred by last year’s Summer Party. The decision has dismayed many students involved with the Summer Party Exec, with Ben Ingram, Former Summer Party Coordinator, saying, “I, and my predecessors, do have issues with the way in which this has been approached, which has been quite closed. We need to make sure it carries on with as much involvement from students as possible”. Although the decision had already been officially made, the Student Council voted on the motion as a formality. 58 members voted in favour of the removal of the Summer Party as a student run service, and only one vote was placed against the motion.

The majority argued that after the fiasco of last year’s party, when only half those expected turned up, it would be common sense to hand over the power and responsibility of organising the Summer Party to a non-student, professional organisation. However there is still room for dispute. Student involvement should be integral for any student event, not only to encourage student participation and limit student apathy but also to ensure the event is aimed at student ideals and desires.

Thankfully student involvement has not been entirely cut off – although students will have no control over finance, they will still be able to contribute through their choice of bands at the event as well as designs and marketing.

Hannah Pupkewitz

Are Dreams Defunct?

How Middle Class is your Uni?

1. V
    January 18, 2011 at 12:35 — Reply

Bullcrap. One bad/mismanged year and they completely change the entire structure? Not cool. What if weekone or the NT had an unprofitable year? Would they suddenly find themselves out of student hands?

2. RBarham
    January 20, 2011 at 08:21 — Reply

Just saw this. Did you guys run an article on the £70,000 loss before? It’d be good to know what the hell happened.

I don’t know whether the management change was a good decision or not, but there are two points to be made to the commenter above.

1. It was only the 2nd year the party was run as an SRS (I believe). You could technically call this “one bad year”, but the phrase doesn’t really work.

2. Other SRSs have lost money before, but nothing like the sum of £70,000. That’s more than the total budget of most SRSs, in fact.

3. notts student
    January 30, 2011 at 01:19 — Reply

wow. Thats a lot of money to loose . not suprised they have changed it.
    Tickets are over priced anyway

4. Jack
    January 31, 2011 at 21:37 — Reply

You want to make an event which doesnt lose £70,000 how about not having NDubz and Funeral for a Friend in the line up?

5. dear jack
    February 1, 2011 at 00:14 — Reply

Well that’s completely subjective isn’t it jack. losing 70k is an objective failure, hence the decision taken. fool of a took

6. coinflip_si
    February 7, 2011 at 02:13 — Reply

Might be subjective, but hes right .Students are incredibly prudent, and with the range of other events going on around this time, the cost of tickets and the line-up are crucial to numbers of tickets sold.

Last years event had a s**t line-up and was well-overpriced. Also, the weather was bad so this would play some part in the loss-making.

7. Tim
    February 9, 2011 at 20:14 — Reply

I agree with Dear Jack