‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it’… reclaim it. The past decade has seen something of a vintage fashion storm and jewellery has not escaped the trend, bringing with it an individual, retro make-over. Step into many of Nottingham’s vintage shops and you will note the presence of unique, statement pieces enjoying a second wind as something else.

The reclaimed jewellery trend is not just about creating modern from vintage or new from old – it’s a resourceful way of creating uniqueness in a mass produced consumer society.

With tutorials on YouTube and Google showing you how to achieve these individual compositions, it is clear that the reclaimed look has mass appeal for those who don’t have that extra cash. These designs stand out from the crowd – that’s the beauty of reclaiming, you make it your own. Whether it’s a stray Lego man masquerading as an earring drop, a Scrabble piece pendant (a favourite of Pixie Lott) or a broken watch shedding its strap and acquiring a shiny new chain. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

• Be careful not to over do it, be bold with a statement piece but don’t let it weigh you down or you’ll end up looking like MC Hammer…
• Don’t just limit yourself to jewellery – reclaimed fascinators and bows are the perfect accessory for a bad hair day, and if you shrink that woolly jumper why not get handy with the scissors and turn it into a skirt.

Charlotte Gelipter

Are Dreams Defunct?

How Middle Class is your Uni?