An SRS, also known as a Student Run Service, is essentially an organisation that provides a service for the benefit of the student body as a whole. These organisations are run by students and retain financial control over how their budgets are spent, though these are set through consultation with the Finance and Services Officer of the SU Executive. Student Run Services are currently split into three branches. Week One, Karnival, The New Theatre, TEC and the Record and CD Library are all overseen by the Activities Officer, who also supervises societies. The Media SRSs, namely NUTS, Impact and URN, are supported by the Democracy and Communications Officer in their aims to both inform and entertain the student body. Nightline, which works in conjunction with the Welfare and Equal Opportunities Officer, provides a confidential listening and information service from 7pm-8am during term time.

Student Run Services are expected to assist in the aims of the Students’ Union, which include the representation of the interests of students at all levels, providing a wide variety of services to enhance student life, developing students’ personal skills through training and participation, and empowering members of the Union to participate and benefit from the activities provided. On top of this, they are expected to evolve and respond to changing student needs.
Student Run Services differ from societies and AU clubs in that they communicate directly with the SU Executive as opposed to a committee. They also take on far more responsibilities in terms of both providing a service that is relevant to a wide variety of students and providing opportunities for its members to develop and gain skills that will benefit them in the future.

Ben McCabe

Are Dreams Defunct?

How Middle Class is your Uni?

1. V
    January 18, 2011 at 12:32 — Reply

Some of our SRSs’ have bigger budgets and responsibilities than the entire SU at certain smaller unis and FE/HE institutions. Takes up a hell of a lot of time, but is incredibly rewarding, and sets a lot of people up for future careers in the field, especially in the case of the media SRSs, TEC, Karni and NT.

2. V2
    January 21, 2011 at 08:10 — Reply

Am I right in thinking the amount Karni made for charity last year was bigger than the block grant given to the SU from the university?

3. Daniel Cooper
    January 21, 2011 at 09:32 — Reply

Not quite V2

The block grant for 09/10 was ₤2,242,430.00
    (Source: http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/about/publications/#annualreport) Karni raised ₤1.4m last year.